Struggling to effectively manage your tasks? Overwhelmed by missed deadlines and a lack of progress tracking? It’s time to take control with a powerful task management tool.
Picking the right software out of so many options can feel really overwhelming. That’s why I’ve done a lot of research to bring you a list of the 21 best task management tools. This list will give you all the info you need to make a smart choice.
Uncover the pros and cons, pricing details, standout features, and even screenshots that provide a visual glimpse into each tool.
Table of Contents
- What is a task management software?
- Best task management tools & software for teams (2023)
- Top features to look for in task management software
- 1. Create and Assign Tasks
- 2. Subtasks
- 3. Recurring Tasks
- 4. Workflows
- 5. Multiple Views
- 6. Task Tracking
- 5. Task Reporting
- 6. Communication on Tasks
- 7. Assign Tasks to Multiple Team Members
- 8. Alerts and Notifications
- 9. Task Dependencies
- 10. Customization and Flexibility
- What are the benefits of task management tools?
- Why do you need a task management tool?
- Task management tools FAQs
What is a task management software?
Task management software is a powerful tool designed to help teams, managers, and organizations efficiently organize, track, prioritize, and collaborate on tasks and projects. It serves as a central hub for managing all types of work-related activities, from simple to complex assignments.
Best task management tools & software for teams (2023)
ProofHub is a robust task management tool that empowers teams to plan, collaborate, organize, and track projects and tasks effectively. It’s the top choice in the market, with industry leaders like Google, Nike, and NASA among its users.
- Streamlined task assignment: ProofHub lets you create and assign tasks to individuals or groups, ensuring the right person handles each job. Customizable workflows and recurring tasks streamline the process.
- Multiple task views: Choose from board, table, Gantt chart, and calendar views to manage tasks in a way that suits your role and preferences. Each view offers a unique perspective on your tasks.
- Task dependencies: Users can establish dependencies between tasks to ensure that one task cannot be started until another is completed. This helps in creating a logical flow for project activities.
- Bulk actions: Manage multiple tasks effortlessly with bulk actions. You can delete, move, or archive multiple tasks simultaneously, saving valuable time.
- Custom fields: Customize task information with various formats like dates, lists, text, and more. This allows you to tailor task details to your specific needs.
- Forms: Streamline client requests and feedback collection with customizable forms. Easily convert requests into tasks for clear tracking.
- Task comments: This feature enables team members to have conversations directly within task threads. This feature promotes effective communication, eliminates the need for external email chains, and keeps all relevant information in one place.
- Time tracking: Users can track the time spent on tasks, helping with accurate time management and billing for client projects.
- File sharing and document management: ProofHub enables users to share files and documents within tasks. This feature simplifies the process of attaching necessary resources to tasks, reducing the need for separate file-sharing tools.
- Collaboration features: ProofHub offers built-in chat, discussions, proofing, and announcements for seamless real-time collaboration, keeping everyone on the same page.
- Flat pricing. No per-user fee.
- Ultimate control with centralized information.
- Multiple assignees on tasks and subtasks
- Intuitive and user-friendly interface
- Customizable views for effective monitoring
- Discussion and proofing under one virtual roof
- Effective collaboration and real-time communication for maximum productivity
- Custom Fields for additional or changing requirements
- Intuitive and customizable reporting
- Custom Roles for secured information access
- Simple learning curve
- Consequently, Streamlined Task Management
- Notifications can be overwhelming sometimes
- No built-in invoicing for freelancers
- Free Trial: You can try out ProofHub for free with a 14-day trial period.
- Essential Plan: The Essential plan is priced at FLAT $45 per month (Unlimited Users) when billed annually. This plan includes features such as task management, proofing, file sharing, and more.
- Ultimate Control Plan: The Ultimate Control plan is priced at Flat $89 per month (Unlimited Users) when billed annually. It includes all the features of the Essential plan and additional advanced features like custom roles and permissions, workflows, priority support and more.
Chanty is an all-in-one collaboration platform with a built-in task manager. You can turn any message into a task. Tasks can be assigned to any team member and filtered by status, dates, and people. Chanty lets you discuss any task in a related flow with relevant team members.
Chanty’s Kanban board offers a flexible and simpleway to manage all your tasksin one place. You can set a due date, assign a person, and control status and priority of any task.
- Tasks can be presented as a Kanban board or task list
- Task discussion flow
- Assigning a team member, setting a due date and priority
- Empowers team collaboration and tasks execution
- Integration with 3rd party apps
- Easy to set up tasks and assign them to the team members
- The task can be discussed by the team in a separate conversation
- Lack of sub-tasks
- Chanty Free Plan: This plan is suitable for teams with up to 10 users and provides access to the basic features of Chanty for free. It includes unlimited messages, voice messages, and integrations upto 10.
- Chanty Business Plan: The Business plan is priced at $4 per user per month when billed monthly. It offers additional advanced features, including screen sharing, guest access, unlimited message history, and increased storage capacity.
ClickUp is an all-in-one task management software designed to tackle any task—from your daily to-dos to complex projects, even your business’ entire workflow—in a single screen. Teams across industries rely on ClickUp to boost productivity with over 15 ways to visualize workflows including List, Gantt, Calendar, and its Kanban-like Board view.
ClickUp’s customizable tasks are designed to help you plan, organize, and collaborate on any project with a scalable Hierarchy to break down complex items into manageable subtasks that you can easily edit or rearrange.
Beyond organization and structure, ClickUp’s task automation, customizable ClickApps, and Custom Fields help streamline your processes and optimize your day-to-day process. With hundreds of flexible tools, drag-and-drop functionality, and over 1,000 integrations, ClickUp takes the heavy lifting off of task management.
- Customizable tasks and subtasks with automation, Custom Field data, time-tracking, and more
- Multiple assignees and comment threads to delegate tasks
- Assigned comments to turn thoughts into action items
- Sharable screen recordings that can be converted directly into a task
- Custom Statuses templates to replicate any workflow
- Checklists within tasks to track everything from multi-step workflows to simple to-dos.
- Subtasks, task relationships, and dependencies to solidify your order of operations
- Multiple views for better visualization
- Over 15 customizable ways to view your tasks
- ClickUp offers a free plan that is suitable for individuals
- Extensive customization options
- Over 1,000 integrations with other work tools
- Steep learning curve
- Glitchy app on Android
- UI needs improvement
- Some users feel overwhelmed by the variety of features
- Free Forever: The Free Forever plan is available at no cost and provides basic functionality for small teams or individuals.
- Unlimited Plan: The Unlimited plan is priced at $5 per month per user. It offers unlimited storage, advanced features, and enhanced productivity tools.
- Business Plan: The Business plan costs $12 per month per user. It includes additional features like goals, workload management, timelines & mindmaps and more.
- Business Plus Plan: The Business Plus plan is priced at $19 per month per user. It offers advanced features, priority support, custom branding, team sharing and more.
- Enterprise Plan: For large organizations with specific needs, ClickUp offers an Enterprise plan. The pricing for this plan is available upon contacting their sales team directly.
nTask is an intuitive and simplework management softwareused by smart teams. It can be used to manage single or multiple projects, for both personal and professional use. While using nTask, you enjoy the ability to create as many teams and workspaces for different work purposes, projects, or even for different departments at your organization.
You can get more productive and get more done in less time with the nTask application. Share files, comments, assign tasks, and track task time in just a few clicks. Users can view the tasks in different views, such as list view, grid view, calendar view, and Gantt view.
- Time tracking and Timesheets
- Team Management
- Meeting Management
- Issue Tracking
- Risk Management
- Easy to use
- Manage progress with Gantt charts
- Paid plans are cost-effective
- Reporting feature not available
- No Kanban board feature
- Premium Plan: The Premium plan is priced at $4 per user per month for individuals or teams just getting started with project management.
- Business Plan: The Business plan costs $12 per month, billed monthly for teams that need to create projects and plans with confidence.
- Enterprise Plan: For teams that need customizations, enterprise-grade security, and advanced features, Ntask Manager offers an Enterprise plan. The pricing for this plan is available upon contacting their support team.
Basecamp is yet another simple task management tool that you can use to manage tasks of multiple projects simultaneously. The tool is well-known for its ability to make teams more productive and better organized.
With Basecamp, whether it’s the people, tasks, files, documents, or deadlines, you can manage everything with relative ease. Moreover, the software allows you and your team to stay in touch with each other using group chats and direct messages.
- Activity view allows managers to see everything related to project tasks
- Createto-do listsand choose assignees and set due dates for tasks
- Share docs and files
- Automate Check-ins
- Easy to set up projects and add team members
- Comment directly on tasks and lists
- Drag and drop files to upload them
- Bookmark to-do lists, messages, etc. to gain quick access
- Misses out advanced features like Gantt charts and timesheets.
- Cannot assign priority levels to tasks
- Basecamp: The Basecamp plan is priced at $15 per user per month. This plan is suitable for teams of any size and includes features like task management, team collaboration, file storage, and messaging.
- Basecamp PRO UNLIMITED: The Basecamp PRO UNLIMITED plan is available at a fixed price of $299 per month, billed annually.
6. ProProfs Project
ProProfs Project is a power-packed task management software that helps you effectively manage and prioritize tasks. The tool centralizes all your work so that you can easily assign and track tasks from a single location. You can even create custom workflows to stay on top of tasks.
ProProfs Project provides a collaborative workspace to keep your teams on the same page. With AI-powered insightful reports, you can get a summary of task progress and status to identify gaps and fix them.
- Multiple views for different projects
- Real-time notifications & alerts
- Actionable reports
- Automation for recurring tasks
- Interactive Gantt charts & Kanban boards
- Great workflow customization
- Drag-and-drop interface
- Mobile-friendly features
- Task prioritization
- App integrations need improvement
ProProfs Project Pricing:
- ProProfs Project offers a monthly plan that starts at $49.97 per month.
Bit is an awesome document collaboration and task management tool that allows you to create, store, organize, share, and collaborate in one central location. You can create workspaces around projects, teams, and departments to keep your documents organized. With these smart workspaces, you can ensure the right team members have access to the right documents at the right time, and break down silos for a free flow of information.
Along with that, you can even invite your team and simultaneously collaborate on a Bit document using real-time editing, inline comments, @mentions, and more. In short, Bit provides a common platform for your team members to brainstorm ideas, share knowledge, collaborate, and innovate together. The perfect task management tool indeed!
- Workspaces and folders to keep data organized and safe
- Real-time collaboration with team members
- Content and knowledge management capabilities
- Simple and intuitive user interface
- Minimalistic and distraction-free editor with auto-formatting features
- Supports live-sharing and document tracking
- Provides real-time collaboration features
- Bit is not available as a mobile app, however, Bit documents are fully responsive and look great on all devices.
- Free Plan: Bit.ai offers a free plan that allows up to 5 members to collaborate and create documents.
- Standard Plan: The Standard plan is priced at $8 per member per month and provides advanced features such as unlimited documents, Multiple export options and more.
- Business Plan: The Business plan is available at $15 per member per month and provides features such as trackable documents, unlimited storage and more.
Trello is widely recognized as one of the largest and most popular Kanban-style task management tool.
It utilizes a visual approach to task management, where tasks are represented as cards that can be moved across customizable boards and lists.
Trello’s interface allows users to have a clear overview of their tasks and project progress. They can easily move cards across lists to reflect the status of each task, from “To Do” to “In Progress” to “Completed,” providing a visual representation of the workflow and making it easy to prioritize and track tasks.
- Board view
- Trello cards
- No-code Automation
- Great overview of tasks and projects
- Plenty of dashboard customization options
- Integration with several third-party apps
- Fewer in-built features
- Not suitable for large teams
- Free Plan: Trello offers a free plan with basic features and limited functionality, suitable for individuals or teams looking to organize any project.
- Standard Plan: The Standard plan is priced at $6 USD per user/month (billed monthly) and provides additional features like unlimited boards, advanced checklists, and more.
- Premium Plan: The Premium plan is available at $12.50 USD per user/month (billed monthly) and offers advanced features including multiple views, workplace-level templates checklists, and more.
- Enterprise Plan: Trello’s Enterprise plan is designed for organizations that need to connect work across teams with more security and controls. For detailed pricing and customization options, it’s recommended to contact Trello’s sales team.
Trello Alternatives: List of Project Management & Kanban Software
Airtable is a versatile task management software that combines the functionality of a spreadsheet with the power of a database, allowing teams to organize and track tasks in a highly customizable and collaborative manner.
With features like real-time collaboration, file attachments and advanced filtering options, Airtable enables teams to stay organized, collaborate effectively, and streamline their task management process. It’s a powerful tool for teams looking for a customizable and intuitive solution to manage their tasks and projects.
- Grid interface allows grouping of projects based on different criteria such as status and project owner
- View and move tasks to different stages as cards usingKanban boards
- Gallery view makes it easy to find photos, documents, etc.
- Drag-and-drop tools make it easy to manage tasks
- Milestones and due dates visible in calendar view
- App integrations
- Limited features compared to other top-tier task management tools
- Reporting tools are not available
- Free Plan: Airtable offers a free plan with limited features and functionality, suitable for personal or very small teams.
- Plus Plan: The Plus plan is priced at $12 per seat per month for teams looking to create connected apps to manage their own workflows
- Pro Plan: The Pro plan is available at $24 per seat per month for teams and departments who need to build connected apps to power their most important processes
- Enterprise Plan: Airtable offers an Enterprise plan designed for departments and organizations who need a secure, scalable, and customizable connected apps platform to stay aligned and move work forward. For pricing details and customization options, it is recommended to contact their support team directly.
Also Read:The Best Airtable Alternatives
From tasks to team members, Wrike allows you to organize everything so that you complete your projects in a timely manner. The tool is ideal for streamlining workflow and enables collaboration to get things done faster.
The software is designed to improve efficiency and productivity for individuals and teams by eliminating repetitive tasks. Wrike intelligently organizes tasks, sorting and prioritizing them based on due dates and priority levels.
Wrike is one of the high-rated tools for task management all thanks to its extensive list of features.
- Customizable dashboard
- Interactive Gantt charts
- Purpose-built templates
- Custom request forms
- Suitable for managing multiple projects
- Real-time project reports
- Prioritize tasks
- Managing work in calendar view is tricky
- The user interface is certainly not the best
- Free Plan: Wrike offers a free plan with basic task management and collaboration features.
- Team Plan: The Team plan is priced at $9.80 per user, per month
- Business Plan: The Business plan is available at $24.80 per user, per month
- Enterprise Plan: Wrike’s Enterprise plan is designed for larger organizations with specific needs. Contact their team for personalized pricing and enterprise-grade features.
- Pinnacle Plan: For teams with complex work needs, Wrike offers the Pinnacle plan. Contact their team to discuss your requirements and get a tailored pricing quote.
Quire lets you arrange, prioritize, and focus on tasks that matter the most for a project. The tool allows you to visualize your workflow and track all tasks in an interactive manner.
With this tool, it becomes easier to collaborate with your team and keep everyone on the same page. You can get your attention to even the smallest activities of a project without losing the bigger picture.
- Streamline Workflow
- Integrated Kanban boards
- Detailed project summary and project stats
- Break tasks into subtasks
- Add descriptions and comments to tasks
- Simple and elegant user interface
- Most features are pretty basic
- No time tracking option
- Free Plan: Quire provides a free plan that allows you to use their basic features at no cost.
- Professional Plan: The Professional plan is priced at US$7.65 per member per month. It includes additional features such as advanced permission control, time report, task bundle, and more.
- Premium Plan: The Premium plan is priced at US$13.95 per member per month. It offers enhanced capabilities, including a timesheet, schedule view, training/consultancy and more.
- Enterprise Plan: For larger organizations with specific requirements, Quire offers an Enterprise plan. You need to contact their sales team to discuss pricing and customizations tailored to your business needs.
12. Ayoa (DropTask)
Ayoa is a fun all-in-one online whiteboard and mind-mapping app where you can brainstorm ideas, work together and get things done. Ayoa combines many handy features that’ll help you and your team to manage tasks and get work done on time.
The tool is easy to use and allows your team to share ideas, and collaborate to complete tasks easily. You can use Ayoa to break tasks into smaller details, select assignees for each task, add comments, and even add files with a task.
- Mind Maps
- Task Boards
- Attractive UI design
- Direct messaging and group chats
- Supports app integrations
- A bit overwhelming for new users
- Difficult to manage complex projects
- Mind Map: The Mind Map plan is priced at $10 per user per month when billed annually. It provides access to Ayoa’s mind mapping features, allowing you to visually organize and brainstorm ideas.
- Task: The Task plan is also priced at $10 per user per month when billed annually. This plan focuses on task management capabilities, helping you track and collaborate on tasks effectively.
- Ayoa Ultimate: The Ayoa Ultimate plan is priced at $13 per user per month when billed annually. It combines both mind mapping and task management features, offering a comprehensive solution for organizing ideas and managing tasks.
Monday.com is one of the best task managers for teams and project management tools, which resembles a highly customizable spreadsheet, but it includes a ton of additional features that make it a highly interactive application.
Monday.com ranks among the best task management tool available in the market because it focuses on simple, visually intuitive layouts that assist in clarifying the sequence of work. This tool for task management allows users to collaborate on tasks by uploading and attaching files, tagging members on tasks, and fixing deadlines.
- Customizable templates
- Real-time Dashboards
- Seamless integration with other apps
- Attractive interface
- Encourages transparency and accountability
- Handy project visualization tools
- It comes with reporting and analytics
- Expensive to manage large-sized teams
- Lacks advanced time-tracking functionality
- Free: The Free plan allows for basic usage with limited features.
- Basic: The Basic plan is priced at $8 per seat per month. It includes essential features and functionality to manage your tasks and projects.
- Standard: The Standard plan is priced at $10 per seat per month. It offers additional features, including a timeline view, calendar view, and more advanced collaboration options.
- Pro: The Pro plan is priced at $16 per seat per month. It provides advanced features like time tracking, custom automation, and additional integrations.
- Enterprise: For larger organizations with specific requirements, an Enterprise plan is available. You need to contact the Monday.com team to discuss pricing and customization options.
Smartsheet is a web-based collaboration tool that allows organizations of all sizes with project management, task management, crowdsourcing, reporting, and much more. It looks more like a spreadsheet-type task management tool that offers basic functions like scheduling tasks, subtasks, activities, and much more.
Smartsheet smartly combines the use of a spreadsheet with visual timeline management, automated workflow capabilities, and collaborative file sharing and discussions. It can manage different types of work such as projects, programs, and core business operations.
- Pre-built templates to jump-start your projects
- Team task list by priority
- Integrates with apps you already use
- Alerts and Automated actions
- Custom reports across projects
- Resource Management & Scheduling
- Leverage team collaboration
- Drive work at scale
- Secure platform deployment
- Drives performance by optimizing campaign execution
- Automates relevant business processes
- Limited calendar view
- Lack of time tracking feature
- Free: Smartsheet provides a free plan with limited features, allowing you to get started with basic task and project management.
- Pro: The Pro plan is priced at $7 per user per month, billed annually. It includes advanced features and allows for a maximum of 10 users with unlimited viewers.
- Business: The Business plan starts at $25 per user per month, billed annually. This plan requires a minimum of 3 users and offers unlimited editors.
- Enterprise: For organizations that run processes at scale with enterprise-grade security and controls., Smartsheet offers an Enterprise plan. You can contact their sales team to discuss pricing and customization options tailored to your specific requirements.
Casual is a visual task and project management tool that allows you to arrange your task blocks as you see fit. Considered ideal for small and growing project teams, this task management tool uses visual charts to plan the processes related to projects.
Casual can be used to create project milestones, define the workflow and serial in which these tasks are to be completed, and assign their due dates. It can track project paths and allocate tasks in different directions without acknowledging dependencies.
- Visual Project and Process Management
- Visual Task Manager
- Workflow Management Tool
- Easy to navigate
- Drag-and-drop interface
- Ability to generate flow diagram PDF and URLs on the fly
- Users can easily set task dependencies
- Users can see from the screenshot
- Great for complex projects
- No integration options
- Removing dependencies in Chrome does not work very well
- Personal: The Personal plan is priced at $12 per month, and allows for up to 2 users. It provides access to essential features for personal task management.
- Starter: The Starter plan is priced at $30 per month, and supports up to 5 users. It includes additional features suitable for small teams and collaborative task management.
- Team: The Team plan is priced at $60 per month, and accommodates up to 10 users. It offers expanded functionality and collaboration capabilities for larger teams.
- Enterprise: For organizations with larger teams and custom requirements, Casual.pm offers an Enterprise plan. To get detailed pricing information and discuss tailored solutions, it is recommended to contact their support team.
Tasklog is a cloud-basedto-do list appthat also tracks time and expenses. Both freelancers and organizations can use this tool. Tasklog’s main features include, but not limited to, a task manager, a time tracker, timesheets, team boards, and a Pomodoro timer.
The Pomodoro technique is one of the most valuable features of Tasklog; it breaks work into timed intervals. Users can monitor employee productivity, prioritize tasks, and assign projects to team members. Tasklog dashboard allows users to track their progress and review reports.
- Time tracker
- To-do list
- Interactive dashboard
- Timers with straightforward controls
- Adjustable time limits
- Effectively combines Pomodoro with time tracking
- Excellent customer service
- Access to history
- Lack of third-party integrations
- May not work well with large-sized teams
- Monthly: The Monthly plan is priced at $9 per month, excluding VAT. It is billed on a monthly basis and provides access to Tasklog’s features and services for a month at a time.
- Yearly: The Yearly plan is priced at $79 per year, excluding VAT. It is billed annually and offers a cost-effective option for long-term usage, providing access to Tasklog’s features for a full year.
- Lifetime: The Lifetime plan is priced at $199, excluding VAT. It requires a one-time payment and grants you lifetime access to Tasklog’s features and updates without any additional charges.
Whether you are looking tomanage your project portfolioor want to keep track of all the project tasks, Proggio is a great tool to have on your side. Its innovative features assist you in planning projects and deliver them on time.
Proggio’s powerful task management features make it possible for you to have complete command over all the tasks of your projects. You no longer need to ask your team members for updates as the software makes it possible to track all the task activity from one single place.
- Manage tasks effectively in the Kanban board view
- Customizable templates
- Create visual task roadmaps with built-in Gantt charts
- Intuitive user interface
- File attachments with tasks
- Suitable for teams across a wide range of industries
- Limited team collaboration capability
- Proggio Tasks: This plan is available for free and provides basic task management features.
- Proggio Pro: The Pro plan is priced at $800 per month, billed annually. It offers an unlimited number of users and includes advanced project management capabilities.
- Proggio Plus: The Plus plan is priced at $1,500 per month, billed annually. It also supports an unlimited number of users and provides additional features and benefits compared to the Pro plan.
- Proggio Enterprise: For large organizations with specific requirements, Proggio offers an Enterprise plan. Pricing for this plan is available upon contacting their support team directly.
Todoist is a leading to-do list andtask management apphaving a simple interface and you can use it to manage tasks of all your projects. The main agenda of this app is to set you free from all the hassle of tracking task progress manually.
The app allows you to quickly add tasks and assign them to your team members. Moreover, the task view allows you to get all the important information about a task, including task title, due date, subtasks, etc.
- Quick Add
- Task Organization and Prioritization
- Delegate Tasks
- Keeps a record of all the completed tasks
- A productivity graph makes it easy to track your productivity
- Real-time notifications keep you updated about all the task activities
- Not suitable for managing tasks of complex projects
- Lacks advanced features like Gantt charts, online file proofing, etc.
- Free Plan: The free plan is available at no cost and provides basic task management features.
- Todoist Pro: The Pro plan is priced at US$5 per month and offers advanced features such as reminders, filters, and productivity metrics.
- Todoist Business: The Business plan is priced at US$8 per month and includes all the features of the Pro plan, along with additional collaboration and team management capabilities.
Hive is a productivity platform that allows you to manage your projects effectively with automated task management. All your team members can use Hive to organize and collaborate on tasks.
Hive combines a variety of individual tools to streamline the process of planning, executing, and completing tasks. Create task cards and select assignees from your team. Moreover, you can add communication with your teammates directly on task cards by adding comments.
- Kanban boards let you manage tasks in stages
- Real-time analytics for measuring project progress
- Upload, organize, and attach files with tasks
- Multiple task views give the flexibility to manage tasks in the way you like
- Send direct messages to communicate with team members
- Built-in templates for getting started with task management quickly
- It will take some time to learn the software’s functionality
- The dashboard becomes messy when managing several projects simultaneously
- Free Plan: The free plan is free forever and best for light project management for small teams.
- Hive Teams: The Teams plan is priced at $12 per user per month and includes advanced features such as project management, shareable forms, integrations, time tracking, and unlimited workspace members.
- Hive Enterprise: For larger organizations with specific requirements, Hive offers an Enterprise plan. To get pricing details for this plan, you need to contact their sales team.
If organizing tasks andmeeting deadlinesis your top priority, then Asana can make a good choice for you. You can stay focused on your project tasks and prioritize them to let your team know the tasks that they need to complete first.
The tool also allows you to see your tasks in different views, including List view, Boards view, and Timeline view. Asana is among the best task manager for teams that are in the market for quite some time.
- Prioritize tasks and set deadlines
- View project status in real-time
- User-friendly interface
- Create realistic project plans with Gantt charts
- Supports third-party app integrations
- Communication features are not up to the mark
- Notifications can be frustrating at times because of the excessive emails sent to users
- Basic: The Basic plan is available for free and includes core task management features for teams with simple needs.
- Premium: The Premium plan is priced at US$13.49 per user, per month for teams that need to create project plans with confidence.
- Business: The Business plan is priced at $30.49 per user, per month (billed annually) and includes features like advanced workflows, resource management, and Community and personalized support.
- Asana Enterprise: For large-scale organizations with specific requirements, Asana offers an Enterprise plan. To get pricing details for this plan, you need to contact their sales team.
Next on this list is TeamWork, a project task management tool, and work allocation tool. It comes with a wide range of features that are helpful when it comes to task management. If you want to hit deadlines andimprove the performance of your team, then TeamWork is a good choice for you.
This tool comes with project templates that are meant to minimize the manual efforts required to streamline your project tasks. Its board view allows you to see the progress of all the tasks and activities of a project. Each task in the board view is represented as a card and you can add columns for each individual process through which the task cards will move.
- Get an instant overview of team capacity using Workload
- Keep every project and its tasks in clear sight with Portfolio
- Gantt chart allows planning of project timeline
- Meet deadlines by prioritizing tasks
- Easy to add team members and assign tasks
- Manage workflows to keep projects on track
- In-built timer for time tracking
- The overall design is a little dull
- The reporting feature is not good
- Free Forever: This plan is completely free and allows for up to 5 users.
- Starter: The Starter plan is priced at $5.99 per user per month (billed annually) and has a minimum requirement of 3 users.
- Deliver: The Deliver plan is priced at $9.99 per user per month (billed annually) and also requires a minimum of 3 users.
- Grow: The Grow plan is priced at $19.99 per user per month (billed annually) and has a minimum requirement of 5 users.
- Scale: The Scale plan is available by requesting a demo. This plan is suitable for larger organizations with more complex needs.
Teamwork Alternatives: Best 16 Project Management Solutions
Top features to look for in task management software
Here are some key features to consider when evaluating task management systems:
1. Create and Assign Tasks
A robust task management system should allow you to easily create and assign tasks to individuals or teams. Look for intuitive interfaces that enable you to define task details such as title, description, due dates, and assignees. The ability to assign tasks ensures clear ownership and accountability, driving productivity and efficient task execution.
To handle complex projects or tasks that require multiple steps, the inclusion of subtasks is essential. Subtasks allow you to break down larger tasks into more manageable components, providing a granular view of progress and facilitating better coordination among team members.
3. Recurring Tasks
Recurring tasks are a common aspect of many workflows. The ability to set up tasks that repeat at specified intervals, such as daily, weekly, or monthly, saves time and effort. Look for a system that supports recurring tasks, allowing you to automate repetitive work and ensure nothing falls through the cracks.
Workflows are an essential feature in task management systems, enabling teams to build and customize processes that align with your specific needs. With workflows, you have the flexibility to define the stages and steps involved in completing a task or project. This allows you to establish a clear path for task progression, ensuring that every step is followed consistently and efficiently. By customizing workflows, you can tailor them to match your team’s unique processes and methodologies.
5. Multiple Views
Different team members may prefer different ways to visualize tasks. Look for a task management system that offers multiple views, such as table view, kanban board, gantt view, or calendar view. These views provide flexibility in organizing and viewing tasks, accommodating different work styles and project requirements.
6. Task Tracking
To monitor progress and ensure accountability, task-tracking features are vital. Look for a system that allows you to track task status, set priority levels, and monitor deadlines. Progress indicators, time tracking, and notifications help keep everyone on track and ensure timely task completion.
5. Task Reporting
Effective task management requires insights into team performance and project progress. A robust task management system should offer reporting capabilities that provide valuable metrics and analytics. Look for features that enable you to generate reports on task completion rates, team workload, and project milestones. These reports offer valuable insights for decision-making and process improvements.
6. Communication on Tasks
Collaboration and communication are essential for successful task management. Look for a system that allows team members to communicate directly within tasks. Features like task-specific comments, file attachments, and @mentions facilitate seamless collaboration, ensure clarity, and avoid miscommunication.
7. Assign Tasks to Multiple Team Members
In complex projects, tasks often require collaboration among multiple team members. Look for a system that allows task assignments to multiple individuals. This feature promotes shared responsibility, encourages collaboration, and ensures that all relevant team members stay informed and engaged.
8. Alerts and Notifications
Stay on top of task deadlines and updates with alerts and notifications. A task management system should offer customizable alerts and notifications that can be sent via email, push notifications, or in-app notifications. This feature ensures that team members are aware of task changes, approaching deadlines, and new assignments, promoting timely actions and preventing delays.
9. Task Dependencies
In complex projects, tasks often have dependencies, where one task must be completed before another can start. Look for a system that supports task dependencies, allowing you to define and visualize these relationships. This feature ensures that tasks are completed in the correct order, preventing bottlenecks and delays.
10. Customization and Flexibility
Every team and project has unique requirements. Look for a task management system that offers customization options, allowing you to adapt the system to your specific needs. Customizable task fields, project templates, and user permissions are some features to consider. This flexibility ensures that the system aligns with your team’s workflow and enhances productivity.
Always remember, a well-equipped task management system acts as a centralized hub for task-related activities, keeping everyone on track, fostering effective collaboration, and driving successful project outcomes.
What are the benefits of task management tools?
The primary role of a task management tool is to make it easier for managers to handle the tasks associated with different projects and the teams who are working on those tasks. However, individuals can also use task management tools to get more work done in less time.
Task management tools can be a great way to stay on top of your work and improve your productivity. Here are some of the benefits of using a task management tool:
1. Increased productivity
Task management tools can help you to stay organized and focused, which can lead to increased productivity.
2. Improved communication
Task management tools can help you to collaborate with others and share information more easily.
3. Reduced stress
Task management tools can help you to manage your workload and avoid feeling overwhelmed.
4. Improved decision-making
Task management tools can help you to track your progress and identify any potential roadblocks. This information can help you to make better decisions about your work.
Why do you need a task management tool?
A task management tool is essential for staying organized, prioritizing tasks, collaborating effectively, working efficiently, maintaining accountability, managing time, and tracking progress. It helps maximize productivity and ensures successful project execution.
1. Visibility and Control
Task management software provides managers with a clear overview of ongoing projects, task statuses, and individual workloads. This visibility allows managers to stay informed, track progress, identify bottlenecks, and make data-driven decisions.
2. Efficient Resource Allocation
With task management software, managers can assign tasks, set priorities, and allocate resources effectively. They can identify available team members, balance workloads, and ensure that tasks are assigned to the right people with the necessary skills and availability.
3. Real-Time Collaboration and Communication
Task management softwareenables seamless collaboration and communication among team members. Managers can easily communicate project updates, provide feedback, and address any issues or concerns directly within the software. This fosters effective teamwork and ensures everyone is aligned and working towards the same goals.
4. Deadline and Priority Management
Task management software allows managers to set due dates, deadlines, and priority levels for tasks. They can easily track task progress, monitor deadlines, and take proactive measures to address any potential delays or bottlenecks. This helps in keeping projects on schedule and meeting important milestones.
5. Performance Tracking and Reporting
Task management software provides managers with insights into individual and team performance. They can track task completion rates, identify areas of improvement, and generate reports on project progress and productivity. These analytics help managers assess performance, identify patterns, and make data-driven decisions for future planning and resource allocation.
6. Streamlined Workflow and Efficiency
By utilizing task management software, managers can streamline workflows, eliminate manual processes, and automate repetitive tasks. This improves overall efficiency, reduces administrative burdens, and allows managers to focus more on strategic planning and driving project success.
Managing project tasks as efficiently as possible is a must for businesses to thrive in today’s competitive markets. As a manager, you are responsible to make sure that your team accomplishes every task on time and you will need a task management tool for that. The task management tools featured in this article are the best ones available right now and you just need to choose one that suits your managerial requirements and your organization’s budget.
Task management tools FAQs
Which is the best task management software?
The best task management software for you depends on your individual needs and preferences. Here are a few of the most popular team task managers, along with their key features:
ProofHub: ProofHub is a cloud-based project management and collaboration software designed to help teams manage their tasks and projects more efficiently. It offers a variety of features, including task management, project management, file sharing, time tracking, and communication tools. ProofHub is a good choice for teams that need a comprehensive and easy-to-use project management tool.
Asana: Asana is a popular task management software program that is used by individuals, teams, and organizations. It offers a variety of features, including task creation, assignment, and tracking. Asana is a good choice for teams that need a flexible and customizable task management tool.
Trello: Trello is a visual task management software program that uses boards, lists, and cards to organize tasks. It is a popular choice for teams that need to collaborate on projects. Trello is a good choice for teams that need a simple and easy-to-use task management tool.
Todoist: Todoist is a simple and easy-to-use task delegation tool that is perfect for individuals who want to stay organized. Todoist is a good choice for individuals who need a lightweight and mobile-friendly task management tool.
What is task management software used for?
Task management software is a valuable tool that enables users to efficiently create, track, and organize tasks and subtasks within various projects.
It caters to the needs of individuals responsible for completing tasks, managers who assign and oversee tasks, as well as stakeholders who require comprehensive overviews and reports on project progress and task status.
This software streamlines task management processes enhances collaboration and provides valuable insights for effective project execution.
What is the best task management tools for teams in 2023?
The marketplace of 2023 is full of numerous tools to consider for task management. With the abundance of features available, it can be challenging to find the perfect fit for your needs.
Here is my list of the top three options that excel in terms of features, functionality, and value for their respective price points.
ProofHub: ProofHub is an all-in-one project management and team collaboration tool that offers all the features necessary for task management in intuitive and customizable views and workflows.
From task prioritization and allocation to accountability and collaboration, all things related to task management are available in one convenient centralized platform.
ProofHub offers all these features in one flat pricing with no per-user fees, ensuring scalability as teams grow.
ClickUp: ClickUp is a feature-rich project management tool that offers task management, file sharing, and communication tools.
It is known for its customization and reporting capabilities. It’s free for up to five users, and there are paid plans for larger teams.
Monday: Monday.com is a project management tool that allows you to create boards and workflows in a visually pleasing manner.
It’s free for up to two users, and there are paid plans for larger teams.
Does task management software make you more productive?
Yes, task management software significantly increases productivity. It does so by organizing tasks for better prioritization, facilitating collaboration among team members, tracking progress, and optimizing resource allocation. It empowers individuals to prioritize their tasks effectively, make progress, and stay ahead of deadlines. With data-driven insights, teams can make informed decisions, leading to enhanced productivity and project success.
What are the best task management tools with workflows?
There are several task management tools for teams with workflows, each with its own set of features and functionalities. Here are my top three recommendations:
ProofHub: ProofHub is a popular all-in-one project management and team collaboration tool known for its simplicity and seamless task management. It offers customizable views and workflows, including tables, boards, Gantt Charts, and calendars, allowing you to visualize your workflow and track tasks in progress, pending, and completed, or as many stages as you like. With ProofHub, you’ll find all the features necessary for efficient task management conveniently centralized in one user-friendly platform. It caters to individuals and teams of any size, effectively managing diverse workflows.
Trello: Trello is a versatile task management tool that utilizes a Kanban board system to visualize your workflow. With Trello, you can easily track tasks’ progress. It offers a user-friendly interface and flexibility, making it an ideal choice for individuals and teams of any size, as it can effectively manage diverse projects and tasks.
Asana: Asana is a popular task management tool known for its simplicity and seamless integration with other applications. It provides an intuitive solution for teams seeking an easy and direct approach to task management. Asana offers various views, such as Kanban boards, timelines, and calendars, to help you visualize your workflow. These views enable you to monitor tasks in progress, pending, and completed.”
This article was originally published in May 2020. The most recent update was in June 2023.