In the days of COVID-19, when most businesses and their workforce have had to switch to remote work and make it a new “normal”, regular and clear audio and visual communication are more important than ever before.
Video conferencing tools like Zoom makes it easy for remote team members to communicate and share information in less time. Zoom’s popularity surged during lockdown enforced in various countries, with more than 300 million users reportedly using the app daily in the month of April 2020.
Whether you’re a remote worker, an in-office employee, or a job-seeker, there are good chances that you might be looking for top-rated, feature-rich Zoom alternatives.
Yeah Zoom is good, but there are some issues that have crept up, thus making people seriously consider switching to a more reliable and efficient video communication tool. Despite its soaring growth, not everything’s perfect with Zoom.
As the number of users joined the flock, there was a rapid rise in the number of complaints about Zoom’s privacy and security record. Some state governments have also asked its people to refrain from using the app as privacy and security breach issues popped up.
Even though Zoom has added a number of features and updates to alleviate the security vulnerabilities, a large number of users are looking for capable alternatives to Zoom.
And that’s exactly why this article is penned; to help all those who want to move on from Zoom to something that offers more reliability, safety, and additional features at a reasonable price. Let us have a look at what Zoom is, its features, and why you need to look for Zoom alternatives.
“Want more than just a video conferencing tool to collaborate on projects? Switch to ProofHub NOW!”
Table of Contents
- Google Meet
- Cisco Webex
- Zoho Meeting
- Jitsi Meet
What Is Zoom Video Conferencing Software?
Zoom is a cloud-based video communication application that is designed exclusively for hosting webinars, setting up video conferences and virtual meetings across different hardware devices like laptops, desktops, and Android or iOS devices. Zoom allows up to 100 interactive video participants (up to 500 participants in paid plans) and 10,000 view-only attendees.
The Zoom virtual meeting tool skyrocketed in popularity during COVID-19 when millions of users used it for both professional and personal use. Easy accessibility and compatibility with various platforms made Zoom a go-to virtual communication tool for project discussions, information, and feedback.
Best Features of Zoom
- Quality video, audio, and screen-sharing capabilities and experiences
- Cloud and Local recording
- Video Webinar
- Integrated Scheduling
- Group Collaboration
- Screen Sharing
- Rooms and Workspaces
- Zoom Marketplace
- Gallery View
Why Look For Zoom Alternatives?
While Zoom offers some great features to users and ranks amongst one of the most popular choices for visual remote communication, it’s not without its fair share of issues. Let’s take a look at how things went awry and why users had to look around for better alternatives and competitors to Zoom options.
Some of the major drawbacks of Zoom are:
- Can get expensive for larger teams
- Some users find it difficult to use
- Poor, unpredictable video quality
- Security issues, intrusion by outsiders
- Lack of crucial features to simplify project management
- 40 min limits for video meetings in the free version
- Delayed customer service is a big minus
- Cyber attacks may cut down the number of users
As readers can see, the Zoom app is not perfect, especially for project managers who are looking for a comprehensive solution to simplify project management. The good news is that Zoom is just one in the long queue of video conferencing tools that include Skype, Google Meet, Cisco Webex, among others.
“For greater control over teams and projects, sign up for ProofHub’s Ultimate Control Plan TODAY!”
Choicest Zoom Alternatives
Choosing the best video conferencing software is not as easy as taking a walk in the park. It’s not like that you can download any app on your phone or PC and it will get the results you wanted.
You have to consider some crucial factors before choosing the right video conferencing tool that meets your team’s and project’s requirements. Let’s take a look at some top-rated Zoom substitute options (with key features) that give users more bang for the buck.
You might have used Skype many times for personal, one-on-one video chat. This tool has been the go-to platform for personal video chat ever since the beta was released in 2003, and has been one of the biggest Zoom competitors from day one. Skype has now added the “Meet Now” feature that allows you to easily set up a collaboration space and invite multiple users, which makes it ideal to use as a business video conferencing software.
The new feature supports up to 50 participants and it’s for free. Things can’t get any better, right? Once the host sends an invitation to the participants, they can easily join meetings whether they have an account or not. However, signing up for a free account gives you access to more features, you’d be better off doing that.
- Users can record the call for up to 30 days
- Meet Now chats can be quickly set up and shared with others
- Can blur the background
- End-to-end encryption for enhanced security
- Easy to install and use
- Free of cost
- Intuitive user interface
- Supports both Android and iPhone devices
- High video and sound quality
- Screen sharing to share anything on your screen
- 50 max participants
- It can take a while to connect
- You can’t receive an SMS in Skype
- Image freezing is a frequently reported problem
- Free plan for video conferencing. Paid plans start at $2.99 for phone calling within the US
Rating On Capterra/G2:
- Capterra: Not Available
- G2: (4.3/5) Stars
“Good tool to organize meetings anywhere and in anytime” – G2
“ Best apps for calls and video conferencing” – G2
GoogleMeet is one of the most potent competitors to Zoom. Until recently, Google Meet’s access was limited to educators and paid users of G Suite. However, Google made Meet available free of cost to Gmail users as well in May this year. This video conferencing platform is highly useful for business owners and project managers who have to communicate regularly with their teams to pass on vital information and share feedback.
Individuals can also use Google Meet to video chat with their friends and family. It’s a simple way to connect with your colleagues and friends who also need to have Google accounts, which is a requirement for both hosts and participants. To make sure users’ privacy is not compromised, Google has added a number of security features such as the ability to admit or deny entry.
- Speech to Text feature
- Automatically switches the layout in a video meeting to display active participants and content
- Audio/Video screen preview
- Invite up to 250 internal or external participants to a meeting
- Businesses, schools, and other organizations can live stream meetings to 100,000 viewers within their domain
- Hosts have better control – mute, pin, ore remove participants
- Screen Sharing
- Easy to use interface
- Live captioning feature allows users to take notes during an online meeting
- New AI enhancements keep your audio and video calls clear
- You need to have a Gmail account to access video conferencing
- Difficult to send multimedia documents through the app
- Doesn’t have whiteboard support for video collaboration
- Can crash on some Mac devices
- Free plan is available
- Paid plan starts from $10/user per month
Ratings On Capterra/G2:
- Capterra – (4.5/5) Stars
- G2 – (4.4/5) Stars
“Great tool for those that utilize Google/Gmail for business needs.” – G2
“ It is quick and easy to set up, and no software needs to be downloaded.” – Capterra
Cisco Webex is an audio and video conferencing software that allows users to instantly conduct virtual meetings with good audio and visual quality. This app is primarily designed for businesses of all sizes and it continues to focus on meeting video meeting needs of companies and professionals.
You can hold virtual meetings on mobile devices, Macs, or Windows desktops with considerable ease by using a cloud-based suite of productivity tools that keeps teams connected. Available in various plans, Cisco Webex also supports multiple meetings to provide real-time experience to users.
- One button to push joining
- Very good clarity in video conferencing
- Good metrics
- Ease of use to both create and join meetings
- Simple user interface
- Users can easily share their documents or any application on their computers
- Users can record their meetings for future reference
- Integrated Webex Audio
- Chat and Brainstorming tools
- Multimedia Content sharing
- Invite and remind participants
- Pricing can be a little expensive for some
- The call me feature doesn’t work sometimes
- The screen share feature can stop working while in the middle of a video conference
- A free trial is available. Paid plan starts at $13.50 per host/month
Ratings On Capterra/G2:
- Capterra: (4.4/5) Stars
- G2: (4.2/5) Stars
“When I think of it as the IT department, the best part of the program is that it can be used as a remote desktop program but there are more beautiful remote desktop programs and they are free.” – Capterra
“The meetings are very interactive, being in one is very easy to sit/join to collaborate, share ideas, thoughts, files, photos, share the screens, record and best of all, if necessary, change the host of the meeting.” – G2
GoToMeeting is a web-hosted video conferencing software designed for high-quality online meetings across various devices, like the desktop app, mobile app, or via a browser. This tool uses several encryption techniques to make sure that the user’s security is not compromised.
Anyone can join an online meeting without having a GoTo account, but the host would need to log into the system to schedule a meeting and send an invitation to participants. The platform is primarily designed for corporate teams rather than personal use. It is ideal for conferences as up to 3,000 participants can join it.
- HD video and crystal clear audio integrated into a cloud VoIP phone system
- GoToMeeting is BSI C5-certified and TRUSTe-verified
- One-Click meetings
- Users can transfer your keyboard and mouse control to any attendee during the meeting
- The app features mobile tools, which makes it suitable for on-the-go meeting
- Users can plan and schedule meetings in advance
- One-click recording
- Can share screen with 25 video participants at the same time
- User-friendly interface
- Integrates with Office 365 apps like Calendar and Outlook
- You need to pay separately to use GoToWebinar tool
- Uses higher bandwidth
- Sometimes audio doesn’t work smoothly and you have to restart the device
- Crosstalks should be addressed
- Automatically delete any saved cloud recordings after 1 year
- Paid plans for GoToMeeting start at $12/organizer per month
Ratings On G2/Capterra:
- Capterra: (4.5/5) Stars
- G2: (4.2/5) Stars
“As a salesman who conducts sales calls exclusively via webinar, this is a vital tool for me and my company. Great software, never crashes, and the audio quality through my speakers is perfect.” – Capterra
“GoToMeeting allows me to create, organize, and attend meetings quickly and professionally. I love it because it is a platform that perfectly adapts to my needs, the advantages it offers me are incredible. I like the quality of audio, video, and internet connection, it offers immediate collaboration advantages.” – G2
Zoho Meeting is a popular open-source video conferencing software that lets users host high-quality video meetings and cut down on travel costs. It is primarily designed for large-scale organizations with multiple teams working together albeit from different locations.
Using this feature-rich application, widely dispersed team members can collaborate in real-time. Users’ information and meeting privacy are protected by Zoho’s advanced encryption technology. Zoho Meeting has a webinar solution for organizing webinars where users can engage and educate leads. It is web-based, which means that users do not need to download the software.
- Desktop sharing
- Cross-platform support
- Embed meeting
- Audience Poll and Raise Hand features
- Advanced moderator controls
- Customize Zoho meeting according to your brand’s color scheme or logo
- Can view and download reports on webinar attendees, engagement, etc.
- Basic pricing plan allows up to 100 participants in any meeting
- No need to download or install when joining sessions
- Lack of whiteboard feature for better explanations
- Recurring meetings can’t be scheduled
- Free version only supports two meeting attendees and 10 webinar attendees
- Average screen-sharing experience
- Free trial available. Paid plan starts at $10/ host per month
Ratings on G2/Capterra:
- G2: (4.5/5) Stars
- Capterra : (4.5/5) Stars
“Zoho Meeting gives the presenter control with everything related to the guest. I also like that it is possible to send reminders to pre-meeting participants. It has a clean and intuitive interface, which greatly facilitates its use.” – G2
“The best part of this software is the ease of the entire set-up! I’ve used webinar software programs before but this software offers the same features of the ‘BIG NAME” webinar services but with a more reasonable price.” – Capterra
You might not have heard of Jitsi Meet yet, but this communication application is pretty reliable and safe. It is a 100% open-source platform that allows you to easily build and deploy secure video conferencing solutions. You don’t have to create an account to join a video meeting in Jitsi Meet.
This is a fully encrypted video conferencing solution that you can use all day, every day, for free! The best part for guests is that you don’t need to sign up or download anything to get started. Just enter a nickname and you’re ready to go! You can record and upload things, and chat is quick and easy.
- HD audio quality with Opus
- Is anonymous
- Keeps conversations private
- Is developer-friendly
- Collaborate on documents using Etherpad feature
- Supports up to 50 participants for video meet
- Can blur the background
- Fully free video chat tool
- A guest can easily join a meeting room with an invitation link
- A new entrant in the market
- Only allows up to 50 participants
- Might experience audio delay problems
- An occasional blip in video quality
Ratings on G2/Capterra:
- G2 – (4.4/5) Stars
- Capterra – (4.2/5) Stars
“Jitsi is a great open-source platform for video conferencing. It has been a helpful tool for connecting with clients or team members.”- Capterra
“It is easy to use, the interface is suitable for achieving great things. Its support is decent and quickly resolved and it integrates very well with various operating systems”. – G2
Whereby is a browser-based video meeting tool that is available in three different pricing plans, depending on your requirements. The emphasis is on providing users an easy, hassle-free experience while hosting or participating in a video meeting. Companies and professionals can host easy and reliable video meetings. There are no apps or installs required, and no login for guests.
Whereby can be an effective tool for small and medium-sized businesses of various industries. Effortlessly connect with team members, clients, and stakeholders on a secure and reliable platform.
- Works straight in the browser on your laptop or phone
- All rooms are locked by default
- Designed to manage both bandwidth and screen space
- Drag and drop interface
- Chat functionality
- Integrates with Google Calendar and Outlook Calendar
- Archiving and retention
- GDPR compliant
- Screen sharing
- YouTube integration
- Too easy to join other groups by mistake
- Call recording is an add-on feature
- Limited features
- Pricing starts at $9.99/ user per month
Ratings On G2/Capterra:
- G2 : (4.6/5) Stars
- Capterra : (4.6/5) Stars
“Overall it was a great experience using this service, it’s also a good opportunity to be able to make new friends and talk with people from other parts of the world.” – Capterra
“I love how my clients do not need to download any pesky software, the meeting room is instant meaning – you do not have to let people in. I can’t tell you how tedious this can be if you are the meeting host and in the middle of the meeting to only realize there is a queue of latecomers.”- G2
How You Can Use Video Communication App Alongside Project Management Software ProofHub To Get Greater Control Over Projects And Teams
No matter how efficient the Zoom video conferencing alternative you use, you need more tools to have ultimate control over teams and projects. A video communication tool alone cannot simplify complex project management, which goes through various stages and challenges before completion.
ProofHub is an all-in-one team collaboration and project management software that will offer you all the tools you and your team needs under one roof. No more juggling multiple tools and paying a hefty per-user fee. User-friendly interface and no learning curve makes it easy for even the first-timers to get started from the word GO!
Let me tell you how ProofHub stands out from the rest and offers you much more (than competitors) in less with powerful features mentioned below.
- Review and Proof Files Easily With Online Proofing
ProofHub’s online proofing tool lets users collaborate in real-time on designs and documents, and add clear and actionable feedback for specific regions. Review and proof files with markup tools and approve files with just a single click.
- Create and Assign Tasks In One Place With Task Management Software
Say goodbye to confusion regarding job assignments with ProofHub’s task management tool. Create tasks and subtasks, assign them, prioritize them, and set clear deadlines. You can also set recurring tasks to never miss out on ones that need to be done regularly.
Message directly and quickly to your team members or clients for clear and fast communication. Video conferencing cannot be done throughout the day, but you can instantly chat for a quick conversation with ProofHub’s quick internal communications tool.
Bring your team and client discussion in one place by sharing ideas, files, and documents. Create discussion topics, subscribe people, add comments, and mention people for better collaboration.
- Create Your Own Workflow With Kanban Boards
See your tasks moving through multiple stages in Kanban boards. Check the progress of tasks and empower teams to self-manage with an improved understanding of workflows. Get notifications every time the task is moved from one stage to another by the assigned team member (s).
- Set Clear Agenda For The Day With Project Scheduling Calendar
With ProofHub, you’ll never lose track of things you want to do in a day. Plan and prioritize your tasks, and other work for the day and set automatic reminders to never miss out on important events and milestones. Get a bird’s eye view across all projects.
- Make The Most Of Every Second With Time Tracking Software
See where your team’s time is going and if some tasks are taking more time than expected. Add multiple timesheets to record time data, set time estimates, track time manually or using timers, and create custom time reports of people and projects.
ProofHub offers a range of useful features under one roof at affordable flat-pricing. You don’t need to pay a per-user fee, which allows you to onboard more members as your team grows.
“Get started with ProofHub NOW and let you and your team coordinate on tasks from one single location.”
The Final Thought
Without doubt, using reliable and efficient alternative Zoom video communication tools is crucial to team collaboration, pass information, and share feedback. There are many good tools to host online meetings, but I have only chosen the best seven for you, based on features offered and pricing plans.
However, you alone cannot hope to control your project with this tool alone. Project management is a comprehensive process that requires several processes to align with each other to ensure successful completion and delivery.
Using ProofHub along with your chosen video meeting app can help you save valuable time and money and get more work done in less time.