If you’re looking for the best RescueTime alternatives, you have landed on the right page. Even though RescueTime is quite reliable and efficient time tracking software, businesses today need to look beyond smart time management and look for an extensive tool that can help them simplify project management.
Undoubtedly, time-tracking is of utmost importance for any business that wants to cut down on time-wastage and utilize time efficiently to improve productivity. Thanks to advanced technology, we now have several top-rated time management software that help you track the time spent by your workforce on both productive and unproductive tasks in a day.
Even though RescueTime is good at what it does i.e. track time, its limited features do not help project managers and teams working on multiple projects to register improved efficiency in their work.
Today, teams need to use multiple tools (online proofing, task management, scheduling, reporting, discussions, etc.) to accomplish project goals, which is not possible with feature-specific software like RescueTime.
Hence, the need to switch to more flexible, powerful, and feature-rich team collaboration and project management software becomes essential. Before we have an in-depth look at some of the best RescueTime competitors, let us first understand what this software is all about.
“Manage projects and teams from a single location. Sign up with ProofHub NOW!”
Table of Contents
What Is RescueTime?
RescueTime is one highly accurate, automatic productivity and time-tracking software that provides intelligent insights into how you spend time on apps, websites, and even specific documents without timers or any manual entry while working on your computer or Android/iOS devices.
Key Features Of RescueTime Are:
- FocusTime Distraction- This feature enables you to “turn off” distractions like social media and news.
- Real-Time Focus Alerts- This feature sends notifications to users on the amount of time they’ve spent on both productive and unproductive tasks.
- One-Click Offline Time Tracking- This feature allows you to keep track of time spent in meetings and calls with one-click.
- Unlimited Data And Advanced Reports- This feature gives you insight into where exactly all your time goes in a day.
Why Do You Need To Look For RescueTime Alternatives?
As mentioned earlier in the article, RescueTime is a very good productivity and time-tracking tool. Many businesses have benefited from this application and discovered unproductive activities that consume the valuable time of their workforce.
However, RescueTime is not without its shortcomings. Many teams have found this application wanting on crucial aspects of project management and team collaboration. Let’s have an in-depth look at why RescueTime is not the “Go-To” solution for many businesses and their teams.
- Lack of Task Management- Team managers cannot create tasks and subtasks, and assign them through this software. Most of the time, they have to use another task-management tool which proves to be a costly and time-consuming affair.
- Limited Information- The application tracking in RescueTime gives very limited information in the sense that for the most part, you cannot know what someone is really working on just from what application they are using.
- Lack of Inbuilt Communication Tool- RescueTime has no inbuilt communication tool, which makes it difficult for team members, managers, clients, and stakeholders to communicate with each other easily through a shared platform.
- Lack of Scheduling Calendar- RescueTime doesn’t have a scheduling calendar, which is another crucial feature for enhanced team collaboration and organization of events, tasks, and milestones all in one place.
- Excessive Monitoring- Excessive monitoring of your employees’ screentime may seem productive, but this can also reduce their trust and increase workplace stress.
- Time Tracking Is Lenient- Time tracker working in the background does not guarantee that your employees are actually on the job and not slacking. Employees may leave applications running in the background to increase their logged hours.
Incredibly Effective RescueTime Alternatives/Competitors You Need To Consider (seriously)
RescueTime isn’t fit for every team. It’s not great for task tracking and doesn’t have any payroll features or many integrations. That’s why I have compiled this list of top-ranked and powerful RescueTime alternatives to help you have the ultimate control over your projects and team.
Let’s get started!
ProofHub is an award-winning team collaboration and project management software that is counted among the best today.
One of the main reasons why ProofHub has become the number one choice for many businesses and organizations is that it offers powerful features in one centralized location to enable the entire team to share a common platform.
You don’t need to juggle multiple tools to manage your projects when you use ProofHub. ProofHub’s flat pricing makes it pocket-friendly for every team that is on a low budget.
Whether it’s communication, collaboration, task management, reporting, time-tracking, or workflow management, ProofHub offers you the complete solution to monitor tasks and projects besides featuring time-tracking software.
Considering a wide array of features, affordable pricing, and little to no learning curve, it’s no surprise that ProofHub is the leading choice of more than 85,000 teams and businesses worldwide, including global giants such as Nike, NASA, Pinterest, Google, and Netflix.
Key Features Of ProofHub Are:
- Task Management- Task Management becomes easier with ProofHub for project managers. You can create personal tasks or assign multiple tasks to a group of people in one location. Break big, complex tasks into smaller and manageable subtasks, set a start and due date, set time estimates, attach files and more using one task management software.
- Custom workflows and Kanban boards- Create custom workflows and see work moving through multiple stages on Kanban boards. Team members get notified every task is moved to the next stage. You can monitor the progress of tasks from a single location to ensure that the project is progressing in the right direction.
- Online Proofing- Deliver your best work easier, faster, and smarter by annotating files with markup tools. Review, proof, collaborate on files and documents and approve them right where you are. Add comments, add clear and actionable feedback for specific regions.
- Gantt Charts- Use Gantt charts for scheduling tasks, setting task dependencies, highlight critical paths, associate milestones, track progress, drag and drop tasks as work changes, export or print Gantt charts, and see all your Gantt data at one central place.
- Group Chat- Send direct messages to one or more team members or clients with a group chat feature. Get instant replies, attach files, and use emojis on the go using one internal communication tool. Create groups to have quick conversations with more than one person, to share ideas, stay in sync, and work together.
- Online Discussions- Have productive discussions with your team members and clients in one place. @ mention people to grab their attention and involve them in discussions. Share ideas, files, and documents at one place without having to go back and forth in lengthy email threads.
- Custom Reports– Create detailed individual, custom, and project reports with the parameters of your choice and visualize overall project progress to plan and manage projects ahead with an online reporting tool. Get a visual roadmap timeline of the complete and incomplete milestones in a project and manage projects accordingly.
- Timer and Timesheets– ProofHub comes with in-built automatic and manual timers that help to record the time it takes to get work done. Start and pause timers as you switch between what you’re working on and save in timesheets. Add multiple timesheets to record time data. Use them for payroll, client billing, estimation, tracking, and even time management.
- Third-party Integrations– Integrate your ProofHub account with Freshbooks, Google Calendar, iCal, Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, and OneDrive. Bring all the apps you already use within ProofHub.
- Announcements– Make announcements and subscribe people to them for anything that may or may not be work-related. Motivate teams by recognizing good work, celebrate birthdays, events, and milestones, or share any other important information. You can attach supporting images, files, documents, and more to your announcements.
- All-in-one tool for project management and online team collaboration
- Intuitive, easy-to-use interface
- Little to no learning curve
- Great fit for teams of any size
- Multiple views for managing tasks – list view, board view, calendar view, and Gantt chart view
- Excellent customer support
- Available in over half a dozen languages
- Limited integrations
Pricing: The Ultimate Control plan is priced at $89 per month, billed annually.
Ratings On Capterra/G2:
- Capterra- 4.3/5 Stars
- G2- 4.4/5 Stars
“When it comes to project management, ProofHub has got all the bases covered.”- G2
“With Proof Hub I am able to run task and project management effectively. ProofHub creates beautiful Gantt charts for easy project tracking, and you can track time spent on projects.” – Capterra
“Have thirty powerful features for improved team collaboration and project management. Switch to ProofHub immediately.”
Why ProofHub Is Better Than RescueTime?
ProofHub scores over RescueTime in more ways than one. Whereas RescueTime is an automatic time-tracking and productivity tool, ProofHub is a comprehensive solution to all your project management needs that also includes time management.
ProofHub is an “all-in-one” software that gives you the flexibility to manage all aspects of your projects from a centralized location. While using RescueTime, you’d need to invest in other tools for task management, reporting, client billing, etc. Juggling multiple tools can prove to be an expensive and time-consuming process. Whereas in ProofHub you get a single, powerful app to solve all your task management, online collaboration, time tracking, reporting and workflow management problems.
Besides this, ProofHub’s simple and flat pricing plans mean that you add as many members to your team without having to pay more. Moreover, ProofHub updates its features regularly, which means that you always get the best to stay on top of your work.
Toggl is a time-tracking app that enables you to track all your daily activities and provides you with reports on work and projects. The tool is available as a web application, desktop apps (Windows, Mac, Linux), browser extensions (Chrome, Firefox) and mobile apps (Android, iOS).
Toggl has straightforward basic features. You can either track time spent on tasks by starting or stopping the timer, or manually entering it later on. Toggl can be used by both individuals and teams, and provides you with powerful reporting capabilities to help you stay on top of your work.
Key Features Of Toggl Are:
- Task Planning and Scheduling
- One-Click Timers
- Background Tracking
- Calendar Integration
- Simple and intuitive user interface
- Compatible with a wide range of applications
- Great features to track time and export employees’ reports
- Easy to set up and get started
- Track time across the web app, desktop app, mobile app, or browser extension – with one click!
- Limited features
- Expensive than other time tracking apps on the market
- Average customer service
Pricing: The Starter plan starts at $9 per user/month.
- Capterra- 4.7/5 Stars
- G2- 4.5/5 Stars
“Easily track the hours & tasks of my VA & submit reports to bookkeeper for paychecks”- G2
“The reports are great and the tools provided are very helpful. Toggl helps you track your employees productivity and is especially useful in projects.” – Capterra
Hubstaff is an all-in-one work time tracker for managing field or remote teams. Hubstaff takes care of time-draining admin work so you can pay attention to other important tasks. Hubstaff allows you to efficiently track time and productivity. Users can use Hubstaff to automate tasks so that you can spend more time on productive work.
Hubstaff specializes in boosting productivity through smart automation. Built-in features like invoicing, payroll automation, project budgets, and employee scheduling take a lot of tedious tasks off your plate. Hubstaff gives you reports on where your company’s billable hours are going and how that impacts revenue.
Key Features Of Hubstaff are:
- Time Tracking
- Employee Monitoring
- GPS Tracking
- Project Budgeting
- Online Timesheets
- Payroll Software
- Productivity Monitoring
- Employee Scheduling
- Works even offline
- Allows time tracking from different devices
- Good support
- Add-on features
- A single control panel
- Integrates with various applications
- Steep learning curve
- No payroll integration with Payoneer. It’s tough to do payroll with limited options
- Some functionalities are not fully customizable
Pricing: The Basic plan starts from $7 per user/month.
Ratings On Capterra/G2:
- Capterra- 4.6/5 Stars
- G2- 4.4/5 Stars
“Tried really hard, but this cost me a lot of time.”- G2
“The best solution for integrated task management and thorough time tracking and reporting.”- Capterra
TMetric is a popular time tracking app that helps streamline your growing business for higher profits, satisfied clients, and happier teams. TMetric is suitable for freelancers and agencies, and gives you a more in-depth view of employees’ efficiency. Users find it easier to manage projects, budgets, tasks, reports, and invoices.
A single click lets you have employees rates set, and all-time tracking data collected in transparent reports for calculating payrolls and allocating resources for better loads distribution. App Usage reports gives you the opportunity to see who is doing what, which gives you a clear overview of your team workflow. K
Key Features Of TMetric Are:
- Time Tracking
- Billing & Invoicing
- Project Management
- Team Management
- Time Off
- Integrations and Apps
- Team time and cost pie chart overviews
- Integrations with related tools
- Incredibly fast and intuitive
- Instant and detailed reports
- Friendly and simple time tracker for teams of any size
- The inability to add time into the future
- Settings can be difficult to find and navigate
- The desktop application is little complicated
- Occasional loss of service without warning
Pricing: The Professional plan starts at $5 per month.
- Capterra- 4.5/5 Stars
- G2- 4.6/5 Stars
“TMetric is the best time tracking/productivity software I’ve ever used.” – G2
“Easy to use, Effective, Efficient and Productive.” – Capterra
Harvest is another top-rated RescueTime alternative. Besides time tracking, Harvest offers team management, invoicing, and payment features. Managers can use Harvest to manage expense reports and employee timesheets. There are several integrations that you can link to your task management and time tracking solutions.
Harvest has a user-friendly, intuitive interface that is self-explanatory. It enables you to train your employees quickly and easily. The solution provides timesheet and invoicing and features for freelancers and small businesses. The solution allows users to track time from different devices, like desktop widget, mobile device, mac, and PC.
You don’t need to do anything to get started. Users can approve timesheets and the system sends automated reminders to employees to submit their timesheets.
Key Features Of Harvest Are:
- Time and Expense Tracking
- Project Tracking
- Team Management
- Users can start or stop the timers as they work through their to-do list
- Managers can find out who is working more than they should, and who can do more work
- Automatically turns billable time and expenses into invoices
- Provides overview of all invoices sent
- Suitable for teams who need easy-to-use timesheet software
- Sometimes, there are discrepancies reported between the desktop app and the website
- Lack of sales tax integration
- Lack of functionality for batch-assigning time
- Minimal options for billing increments
Pricing: The Paid plan starts from $12 per seat, per month.
Capterra- 4.5/5 Stars
G2- 4.3/5 Stars
“Great for time and billing; hard to integrate with accounting.”– Capterra
“Very user friendly time tracking that you can outgrow quickly.”- G2
WebWork Time Tracker is counted among top time tracking and employee monitoring software available today. WebWork has some amazing features like screenshot monitoring, powerful reports, web & app usage tracking, integrations, mouse and keyboard activity tracking, and more.
With all the essential tools for time tracking and employee monitoring, managers can boost their team’s productivity. All data is available by visual reports, which can easily be turned into exportable documents. This time-tracker will mark your employees’ activity with colors indicating a green as a high level of activity, red as low and orange as average. The data is collected on monitoring the mouse-clicks volume.
Key Features Of WebWork Are:
- Time Tracking
- Activity Levels
- User Types
- Online Reports
- Manual Time
- Activity Description
- Can be directly accessed from the toolbar
- Can track multiple projects from a single interface
- Can create invoices from reports
- Simple and user friendly
- Customer support keeps you updated on your cases
- Complete transparency of your employees’ desktop activities
- The default time-out is only seven minutes
- Task system can be optimized
- Doesn’t have the option for setting up a limit of working hours
Pricing: The Paid plan starts from $2.99 per user, per month.
Capterra: 4.4/5 Stars
G2: 4.7/5 Stars
“Allows you to track time in a much more professional way.”- G2
“Easy to use software for keeping track of online work providing screenshots and actual work time.”- Capterra
actiTime is a web-based timesheet software program that demonstrates rich functionality in terms of meeting several accounting and management requirements. actiTime is considered suitable for both startups and large-scale businesses and enables users to manage projects easily.
With actiTime, you can create project scope, assign work to your team, record work hours, and keep everything on track with the insightful data. You can record work hours manually or use timers to fetch more accurate data. Get a complete view of what your staff is working on, identify any loopholes, and improve the team’s efficiency.
Key Features Of actiTIME Are:
- Time Tracking
- Scope Management
- Billing and Accounting
- Automated Leave Management
- Direct Data Access
- Helpful Browser Extensions
- Affordable, rich functionality
- Easy to use and setup
- Securely stored database
- Customizable product features
- Flexible user management
- Customizable reports
- Can be complex for new users
- Limited integrations
- Technical support could be faster
Pricing: The Paid plan starts from $6 per user, per month.
- Capterra- 4.6/5 Stars
- G2- 4.5/5 Stars
“Great for detailed time tracking” – Capterra
“actiTIME is the best tool that allows you to better organize all projects and tasks.” – G2
Summing It Up
All these RescueTime alternatives are counted among the best today due to their ease of use and powerful features. Using one or more of these tools, you can not only track your time but manage tasks, scheduling, reporting, and much more.
ProofHub stands out as the most value-for-money tool that offers more features than any other software in a single location. You can monitor the entire project easily, improve team collaboration, and simplify project management.
Figure out what your team’s requirements are then choose a tool that meets most (if not all) of your needs to accomplish project goals successfully.