Today, Monday vs Asana can be termed as the comparison feature of two of the most popular and widely used project management software giants. And we chose to come up with a detailed comparison analysis so that all you project management players can discover which tool suits their needs the best.
Wait a minute. Is this article all about Asana vs Monday, or is there any other tool that offers more functionality than what both these tools provide users? Yes, you might be in for a surprise.
Let’s start with a brief introduction to both Monday and Asana before exploring the differences between these tools. Read on to find out more about it.
Table of Contents
- What Is Asana?
- What Is Monday.com?
- Asana vs Monday: What Are The Differences?
- Pricing Plans Of Asana and Monday.com
- Asana vs Monday.com – Pros and Cons
- Monday vs Asana – Reviews
- Asana vs Monday.com – Comparison Table
- ProofHub – A Smart and Powerful Alternative To Asana and Monday.com
- The Final Thought – Asana vs Monday – What We Think
What Is Asana?
Founded in 2008 by Dustin Moskovitz and Justin Rosenstein, Asana is a popular web and mobile work management platform that enables teams of any size to work together in one shared space. This software-as-a-service (SaaS) platform is designed to enhance team collaboration and organize project management by automating routine, repetitive tasks.
With more than 200 integrations, Asana allows both in-office and widely distributed remote teams to effortlessly communicate, collaborate, and coordinate on tasks and projects from start to finish.
What Is Monday.com?
Monday.com is a cloud-based Work Operations System that allows teams to customize workflows in the way that suits them the best, which helps to boost their efficiency, alignment, and productivity. This intuitive and straightforward Work OS enables teams to adapt to varying needs, create transparency, collaborate, and avoid manual grunt work. Monday.com is customizable and can be used by groups of any size for every industry.
Even though Monday.com is generally categorized as project management software, you can also use this versatile tool like a CRM to manage ad campaigns, and customer projects, track bugs, and manage video production.
Asana vs Monday: What Are The Differences?
Both Asana and Monday.com offer a wide range of advanced features to individuals and teams to facilitate efficient and streamlined work processes, work coordination, and collaboration. Each tool offers a free plan as well as different pricing plans to suit the varying requirements of different individuals and teams.
Let us understand each tool in depth so that you can have a better understanding of how each application works so that you can make a well-informed decision.
Asana – Core Features
Monday.com is a cloud-based Work Operations System that allows teams Asana’s simple. A minimalistic interface is ideal for those who are not as tech-savvy. The user interface is easy to navigate, albeit it’s less visual compared to competitors. Let us explore the core features of Asana in detail to get a clear picture.
- Workflow builder. Workflow builder allows you to coordinate work smoothly across teams from the same or various departments. Users can create more efficient workflows to connect groups, organize work, and streamline projects in a centralized location. Team members can set up processes, report on progress, and adapt to workflows to progress with your team.
- Timeline. Stay on schedule, meet deadlines, identify problems, and fix conflicts in task dependencies by creating beautiful Gantt charts within minutes. Adjust your plan to keep your project on track as work changes and deadlines shift. As Asana lets you import CSV files directly to create actionable timelines, do away with spreadsheets.
- Boards. Kanban boards in Asana allow you to visualize tasks’ progress as team members move them from one stage to another. You can prioritize tasks and identify roadblocks in time to prevent future backlogs and optimize your workflow management. Asana lets you toggle between different views for increased flexibility.
- Team calendar. Asana gives you the easiest way to plan, manage, and visualize work in a shared team calendar, so you hit your deadlines every time. You can view tasks in a calendar view or sort them in a list layout. Advanced Search shows you all the work and deadlines assigned to your team. Asana also integrates with tools like Google Calendar, iCal, Outlook, etc.
- Universal reporting. Get real-time insights into the progress of your team’s work through dashboards, charts, and graphs. Your teams can create charts on any workstream using chart templates or build custom charts to get a clear picture of what’s happening within the project.
- App integrations. Asana brings all your tools and data to one place by offering integrations with more than 200 apps. Whatever be your team size, your data is secure and protected at all times. You can even build custom apps through Asana’s API and create custom solutions for your team.
- Automation. Use Rules in Asana to save valuable time and automate routine tasks so that you don’t have to think about them. You can also create custom rules within seconds and ensure that your team members follow processes the way you want them to. Reduce bottlenecks and busywork by casting reliable methods.
- Workload. Ensure even distribution of job responsibilities within your team with Asana’s Workload. Make sure team members don’t feel overburdened or underworked by managing your team’s workload in real-time. Assign the value to tasks in terms of points or hours so you determine the effort they require. Drag and drop charges to reassign and reschedule them to ensure that the exemplary work is done at the right time.
- Forms. Asana Forms let you submit and manage work requests in one place as your team juggles multiple projects. Other groups and clients can quickly request work through the standard intake process. You can create custom workflows, automate routine tasks, use inbuilt templates, or create custom templates to save time by not starting from scratch.
Monday.com – Core Features
Monday.com is more manageable for new users to get started with as it has a simple learning curve. Unlike Asana, Monday.com does not allow you to create and save task templates; you’ll have to develop new tasks every time, even if they are recurring tasks. Simple to use, set up, and familiarize yourself with; that’s how we describe Monday.com features.
Let us dig deeper into the core features of Monday.com.
- Dashboards. Visual Dashboards let you easily create reports and summaries and have a visual overview of where work stands at a glance. Monday.com gives you the tools to create custom dashboards and track progress, timelines, and budget. Use data tools to assign and prioritize tasks, share files, and track who is doing what at any given point in time. Customizable boards keep all team members synced so that everyone works towards the same goal.
- Automations. Code-free monday.com automations allow you to focus on what matters most by creating the perfect workflow for every team. Stay up-to-date with real-time updates when due dates arrive or when tasks are completed. Avoid unnecessary meetings and lengthy email threads by setting customizable automations within minutes.
- Kanban. The Kanban software on monday.com allows you to manage any workflow. Kanban integrates with your favorite tools to facilitate collaboration with all stakeholders, fully customizable and scalable. Prioritize tasks and balance demands as per your team capacity. Check the current status of all tasks within the project and get notified every time the task is moved from one stage to another.
- Files. Manage all your important files and documents in one place, share them easily, finalize assets, and create seamless, efficient workflows. Speed up edits and approvals, and shorten feedback loops by directly collaborating and communicating on your files. File versioning helps you organize every file iteration in a coherent timeline.
- Integrations. Monday.com allows you to seamlessly integrate with all your favorite tools so you can manage all your work in one place. Some popular integrations are Outlook, Microsoft Teams, Dropbox, Slack, Zoom, Google Calendar, Google Drive, Excel, etc.
- Gantt. Visualize project milestones and important dates, and set dependencies for your projects to ensure your team never misses a deadline. Turn outdated spreadsheets into intelligent boards that are viewable as Gantt charts. Gantt is one of many powerful views that Monday.com offers so you can make sure your team’s workflows run smoothly and efficiently.
- Word docs. Your team can collaborate live on your work documents as you can co-edit in real-time, instantly share comments, and drag and drop texts as you stay on top of your everyday work. Keep projects moving forward with one shared work doc for your team with a checklist of weekly tasks. Keep your work docs accessible across your organization to drive action in all aspects of your team’s work.
Pricing Plans Of Asana and Monday.com
Asana Pricing Plans:
- Basic Plan: Free forever for individuals or teams just getting started with project management
- Business Plan: Priced at US $24.99 per user, per month, when billed annually
- Premium Plan: Priced at US $10.99 per user, per month, when billed annually
- Enterprise Plan: Contact the Sales department for more information
Monday.com Pricing Plans:
- Free Plan: Free forever for upto 2 seats
- Basic Plan: Priced at $8 per user, per team, when billed annually
- Standard Plan: Priced at $10 per user, per month, when billed annually
- Pro Plan: Priced at $16 per user, per month, when billed annually
- Enterprise Plan: Contact Monday.com for pricing information
Asana vs Monday.com – Pros and Cons
Pros and Cons of using Asana
| Pros|| Cons|
Pros and Cons of using Monday.com
Monday vs Asana – Reviews
Monday.com – Reviews
Capterra: “I loved Monday.com. The ease of use. The beautiful and simple design. I was enamored by every feature of this tool. Previously, I had notes jumbled on papers, in Apple Notes, and in Microsoft Excel. This was my solution to everything. I was able to transition all of my projects into one, sleek looking interface that inspired me to delve deeper into what was working about my company.”
G2: “Monday.com is usually helpful in increasing your productivity. It is simple to convert into various visual representations to make it more clear. We’ve created an automated communication board that makes it simple to produce papers, quickly inform colleagues for evaluation, and collaborate on a project whether you’re in the office or working remotely.”
Asana.com – Reviews
Capterra: “Asana overall worked out as a great tool for our business and managing projects. It has some great features with managing teams and tasks embedded with calendar and file upload features. Overall Asana is great in deploying projects among the team.”
G2: “Asana will keep you organized and it will keep you on track to meet deadlines that you might have. I use Asana for several different areas of our business. Asana solved our issue of having information in several different places. Asana has helped us stay organized and operate more efficiently.”
Asana vs Monday.com – Comparison Table
Data security & privacy
Ease of usage
Asana offers multiple project views to users – Calendar, List, Gantt, Board and many more.
Asana provides an intuitive User Interface, but a vast number of functionalities can make it overwhelming for new users.
Asana offers more than 200 integrations.
Asana offers two-factor authentication, SSO, and SAML 2.0. It works in tandem with 2FA to ensure maximum security for your account.
Asana offers Rules to automate routine, repetitive tasks.
Huge customization options may make Asana difficult to use for new users.
You can see the portfolio of current projects by zooming out of day-to-day tasks.
Asana does not offer support by phone. Customers can get in touch through email and chat support.
Users can create tasks, set task goals such as deadlines, assign the tasks to the team members, and keep track of the tasks through the lists, boards, and timeline view.
Monday.com provides a vast multitude of built-in views- Kanban Board, Workload, List, Calendar, and Timeline.
Monday.com has an attractive, colorful, and intuitive User Interface, but even more complex and steep learning curve than Asana.
Monday.com offers more than 50 integrations.
Monday.com offers two-factor Authentication (2FA) for all plans. Monday.com also provides SSO with popular apps like One Login and Okta.
Monday.com offers Automation that allows you to use an event to trigger an action.
Monday.com might be easier for new users as compared to Asana.
Monday.com doesn’t have a proper portfolio management section, but you can integrate all your current projects in one place.
Monday.com offers 24/7 support, every day of the year via phone, email, contact forms, a community forum, knowledge base, and videos.
In Monday.com, tasks are named as pulses. You can create pulses, assign them to the team members, and create dependencies in the tasks
ProofHub – A Smart and Powerful Alternative To Asana and Monday.com
You’ve read how Monday.com and Asana are two efficient tools for work management, with each of them offering a unique set of features to users. However, for teams that are looking for more functionality, both these tools are quite limited.
This is where ProofHub can be the right choice for individuals and teams who are looking for a more comprehensive tool that is loaded with all the bells and whistles. ProofHub is a top-rated team collaboration and project management software application that helps project teams to simplify complex projects while enhancing team collaboration.
So, how does ProofHub stack up against Asana and Monday?
Let’s find out.
- A Simple Learning curve. Unlike Monday and Asana, ProofHub does not have a steep, complex learning curve. Even new users can learn to use ProofHub in minimum time and start managing their tasks and projects quicker than they expected!
- Ease of usage. Due to a simple learning curve, and neat, and intuitive interface, ProofHub offers a hassle-free user experience. Users can easily find the feature they want to use and the information they are looking for.
- Table view. Table view in ProofHub allows users to view their to-do lists in a simple, straightforward manner. Users can filter and prioritize their tasks and keep essential details front and center.
- File management. Keep all your digital files and documents organized in a centralized location for easy access and seamless collaboration with ProofHub’s digital file management system. You can also upload files and documents from your computer, Dropbox, Google Drive, OneDrive, and Box.
- Communication. ProofHub takes your team communication to another level. You don’t need to use time-consuming video conferencing and emails for sharing every piece of information. Inbuilt communication tools, like group chat, discussions, @mentions, and real-time updates allow users to exchange information quickly and stay updated on all recent developments within the project.
- Accessibility. Access your work, and collaborate with your team from anywhere, on any device with ProofHub. The mobile app version allows you to access ProofHub and collaborate on your work with others easily.
- A suite of features. ProofHub offers a suite of powerful features in a centralized location, under one virtual roof to users. You don’t need to switch different applications to manage various aspects of your work as ProofHub enables you to plan, organize, execute, and track your projects from a single location.
- Real-time notifications. Get updates of all the activities that happen in ProofHub through real-time in-app, desktop, email, and mobile notifications. Make sure you never miss an important update with real-time notifications on your device.
- Time tracking. ProofHub has inbuilt time tracking software that helps you bring all your time data at one central place. Users can add timesheets, set time estimates, track time manually or using timers, export timesheets, archive them, and create time reports to make sure that time is efficiently utilized.
- Announcements. Make announcements to convey project-specific or other information and subscribe people to them. Celebrate milestones, achievements, or special occasions (birthday, work anniversary, wedding anniversary, etc.,) celebrate achievements at one place.
The Final Thought – Asana vs Monday – What We Think
Asana and Monday are two different tools in terms of functionality while also sharing some common features. Monday.com has a bag full to offer in terms of features and project views, Asana offers additional features you’ll not find in Monday.com. That said, both tools have a steep learning curve, are not easy to get started with for new users, and can overwhelm you with more-than-required features.
This is where using flexible, simple-to-use project management and team collaboration software like ProofHub can be of great benefit for those who are not quite satisfied with either Asana or Monday.com.
A simple learning curve, seamless user experience, a suite of tools under one virtual roof, and excellent customer support make ProofHub an automatic choice over Asana and Monday.com.