Every year new tools are launched in the market. Some live up to the expectations while others are forgotten as soon as they are launched. Project management apps are always in the limelight either for introducing new features or integrating several useful tools in one app.
Let’s talk about apps for project management that performed incredibly well in 2023 and will continue to do so in 2024 as well.
Top 15 project management apps for businesses to try in 2024
ProofHub is an all-in-one project management app. It comes packed with powerful features to eliminate the need for having too many different tools to run your business. It acts as a centralized place for all your projects, teams, and communications. It makes it easy to create plans, collaborate with teams and clients, keep things organized and deliver projects on time. Available on ios and android also.
“ProofHub enables us to coordinate tasks, lead discussions within smaller groups and ensures that everybody sticks to individual and general deadlines. We like how easy ProofHub is to use. We can change and edit things, without having to start all again.”
- One-to-one/group chat
- Discussion boards
- Task management
- Task comments and @mention
- Timeline view and Gantt charts
- Task dependencies
- Calendar view
- Custom workflow and Kanban boards
- Online proofing tool
- Time management
- Multiple timers
- Advanced reporting
- Centralized files and notes
- API and integrations
- White-labeling and customization
- Tablet and mobile compatibility
- No learning curve
- ProofHub offers all planning, collaboration. Monitoring, proofing, and reporting tools under one roof at an affordable price (no per-user fees)
It has powerful third-party integrations, but it does not integrate with apps like Zapier.
For information on our pricing plans, kindly visit our pricing page.
Nifty is one collaborative hub that manages all your clients and teamwork with an interface designed for easy adoption. You can say goodbye to status meetings! With Nifty, it’s easy to create a clear plan of action for your projects and to automate your progress tracking.
“Nifty is the glue my business was missing. It is one app that my product team, development team, and clients all use, and now everyone knows exactly where to look for updates.”
- Time Tracking
- Project Home
- Milestones (Gantt Chart)
- Docs & Files
- Project Portfolios
- Team Members
- Team Chat
- Recurring Tasks
- Workflow Automations
- Custom Roles & Permissions
- Custom Fields
- Budget Tracking
- Cross-Project Overviews
- Team Workloads
- Manage campaign tracking
- Consolidate campaign assets
- Google Docs integration
- One-click Zoom meetings
None so far
Nifty Starter is available for $39 per month (billed annually) with unlimited guests & clients. Nifty Pro will cost you $79 per month, Nifty Business comes in at $124 per month and Nifty Enterprise at $399 per month. A free plan is also available — with unlimited team members and 100 MB storage space.”
Filestage is a content review platform that empowers project managers to master the all-too-often chaotic and confusing review and approval process. The app makes it easy for project managers to securely share their content and create logical review workflows that add structure to the review and approval process.
“We became deeply involved in long email threads. It became very non-productive: the wrong versions were edited, and everybody lost overall. That’s why we started using Filestage.”
- Quickly establish logical review workflows
- Collaborate with team members in real time
- Create annotations for intuitive feedback
- Features an integrated to-do list
- Archive and export comments
- Exercise clear version control
- Track the review status of files at a glance
- Get timestamped and documented approval from all stakeholders
Simple for internal and external stakeholders to use
Mobile app is still in development
The Filestage Starter package is available for 89 €/month and features 15 active projects, while the Pro package starts at 219 €/month and includes 35 active projects. An Enterprise package is also available.
nTask is a task and project management app that helps teams to collaborate to get more done. It offers robust features for efficient project delivery and keeps track of team tasks. The app can help in project planning, execution, and tracking the results. The Gantt charts can make your workflow management more smooth with drag-and-drop functionality.
“I really enjoy using nTask. It helps me keep my team on task and it makes it easy for me to share documents.”
- Task management and recurring tasks
- Multiple task assignee to define workload
- Project management and budget management
- Interactive Gantt charts
- Elaborate meeting management including agenda and follow-up actions
- Issue tracking and risk management
- Alerts, notifications, and reminders to keep the team well informed
Simple user interface Affordable pricing Team collaboration
No advanced reporting Pricing: 14-Days free tral, Premium starting at $2.99 per user/month, Business plan starting at $7.99 per user/month
5. Proprofs Project
ProProfs Project, a simple yet effective app for project management, offers a plethora of features to enable you to keep projects on track. It helps businesses to bring teams across different divisions together so crucial project activities can be done appropriately and at the right time.
“I feel 100% organized since using ProProfs Project! It reduced my invoicing time from 1.5 hours to just about 25 minutes. Real money and time saver!”
- Task management
- Task comments
- Time tracking
- Gantt charts
- Task dependencies
- Calendar view
- Time management
- Advanced reporting
- File sharing
- Email notifications
- Automated invoicing
- Budget-friendly pricing options
- No additional software installation required
- Easier project tracking
- Mobile apps for both Android and iOS users
- No assigned comments functionality
ProProfs Project comes in 4 different plans: Forever Free ($0/month), Solopreneur ($19/month), Team ($49/month), and Unlimited ($199/month).
6. Troop Messenger
Troop Messenger is a comprehensive instant messaging app that works well for both small and large businesses. You can participate in productive team communication without ever leaving your seat. You can collaborate with audio calls, video calls, screen-sharing, group chats, and other amazing features. The best thing is that it seamlessly integrates with popular third-party applications.
“We have been using Troop Messenger for a few months. It’s a great collaboration tool to discuss a wide range of project deliverables in one place.”
- Allows live location tracking
- Offers advanced search filters
- Unlimited searchable message history
It’s a great app for team collaboration.
Third-party integrations are a bit lacking.
Premium plan starting at $10 per user per year and Enterprise plan starting at $30 per user per year.
Chanty is a powerful team chat app that lets you communicate and collaborate with your team. Besides the chat feature, Chanty also allows audio and video calls, as well as screen sharing. Some other cool features include project management, threaded communication, and integrations with apps such as Drive, Dropbox, Trello, GitHub, and many others.
- audio and video calls
- screen sharing
- unlimited messages in the free plan
- project management built into the app
- drop voice messages
- communicate in threads
- Zapier + many other integrations
Affordable, super intuitive to use, new features launched every month or so
Video calls might be buggy sometimes
8. Hubstaff Tasks
Hubstaff Tasks is Agile project management software with Kanban boards and focused sprints.It helps teams assign and manage tasks, streamline project workflows, and it keeps everyone in the team connected in one system. Hubstaff Tasks makes tracking work progress easy, and ensures that projects are moving forward as planned.
“Hubstaff has not only helped us scale our online publishing business, but hold each of our virtual employees accountable.”
- Kanban-style project management with sprints
- Visual workflows so you can see where a project is at any time
- Checklists within tasks for detailed progress tracking
- Assign/mention team members in the comments
- Organize tasks with labels
- Integration with Hubstaff for streamlined project tracking and time management
- Lightweight, easy, and effective
- Great for monitoring productivity
It marks you as idle after a certain time period even if you’re working on something.
Free for teams under five, premium or larger teams start at $4/month per user.
If you’d like to plan, organize, track projects in one collaborative space, Monday.com could the right app for you. Manage any workflow or process and be ready to address any challenge from the simple to the not-so-simple with total ease. Keep up to date with where everything stands and plan for the future with an easily digestible overview.
“It’s a great tool that allows us to organize our work visually in a way that is easy to use and understand.”
- Many-to-many communication support
- Integration with Dropbox, Google Drive, and Pipedrive
- Relevance-based updates
- Visual display of progress
- Flexible user interface
- Very reasonable pricing
Too much social media and youtube advertising.
The Basic plan starts at $39 per month for 5 users, Standard plan starts at $49 per month for 5 users, pro plan starts at $79 per month for 5 users, and Enterprise plan is available by quote.
Whether for small or complex projects, Asana is an effective app for tracking and managing a team’s projects. Unlike other project management tools, Asana comes with an intuitive and simple UI. Task prioritization helps teams to be more productive and efficient and all the changes are updated in real-time. Check out these top Asana alternatives, if Asana doesn’t come out to be your cup of team.
“Asana allows me to simultaneously manage teams across multiple markets so I’m able to ensure all of my projects are on track.”
- It helps to keep track of what’s important
- Shows pieces of projects together in a timeline
- Enables you to move work through multiple stages quickly and easily
- Lets everyone see how work is progressing, what’s on track, and what’s need immediate attention
- Ease of use and access
- Simplifies retrieval of historical data and notes
It does not work well as a communication tool.
Premium plan is available for $10.99 per user per month, Business plan available for $24.99 per user per month, and Enterprise pricing available by quote.
11. Genius project
Genius project comes with a wide range of powerful features that covers almost every aspect of your business. From project planning to resource management, Gantt charts to time tracking, team collaboration to budget management — it takes care of everything.
“When evaluating Genius Project, we found that it had a great balance between price and available functionalities. The solution is highly customizable to fit one’s reality and integrates seamlessly via an open API.”
- Multi-project Gantt chart for planning and visualization
- Automatic time recording and Two-stage timesheet approval
- Customized application integrators and templates
- Social team collaboration and project wall
- Advanced reporting and invoicing
Simple to learn/quite intuitive.
There are functions that do not work properly.
Genius Project offers different pricing plans for project managers, team members, stakeholders, and readers based on their license count. To calculate your license count, visit their website.
Scoro is an end-to-end business management software solution for professional and creative services that help to streamline work and eliminate routine tasks. Leading companies such as Newton, Grant Thornton, WSI, and many others are using Scoro to get work done, be organized, and be in control.
“We wanted everything to be in one place, more flexibility, simplicity, integration and something that was intuitive in its usability. Scoro has become an integral part of running the business today, and we are very satisfied with the way Scoro has helped across the board.”
- Displays project details, tasks, KPIs, calendar events and more in one place
- Lets you stay up to date and see changes in real-time
- Enables you to synchronize multiple calendars, quotes, tasks and projects in a single interface
- Makes budgeting, invoicing, and advanced reporting easier
- It is by far one of the easiest platforms for teams to adapt and work with
- The invoicing and reminders system are quite amazing
It often takes time to set up the sync with Outlook.
Essential pricing starts at $26 per user per month, Work Hub pricing starts at $37 per user per month, Sales Hub pricing starts at $37 per user per month, and Business Hub pricing starts at $61 per user per month.
Basecamp is one of the most trusted project management and team collaboration apps trusted by hundreds of people. Not only it just helps you to get work done in one place but it also offers a calm and organized way to manage projects and other work commitments. Communication around the tasks and sharing new ideas is easier, more transparent, and faster.
“I’ve used Basecamp for a million projects over the last decade and a half. It’s beautiful software that has resisted every wrong trend and stayed true to the things that mattered most.”
- Keep everything you’re working on in one place
- Make it easier for everyone working on the project to get involved and collaborate
- Provide dedicated tools for discussion, planning, progress tracking, sharing files, and more
- See what happened when without the need of hosting or attending meetings
- The messaging board simplifies collaboration to a whole new level
- It’s super easy to implement and the interface is excellent
Basecamp integrations feel a bit lacking, particularly in terms of reporting.
Basecamp Personal is available for FREE (with 3 projects and 20 users) and Basecamp Business is available for $99 per month for unlimited projects.
Whether it’s a big project, business report, or planning your next vacation, Trello lets you organize anything in a fun and flexible way. It is incredibly easy to use and keeps track of everything, from the big picture to the minute details. Trello easily integrates with various productive apps to help you stay productive and on top of things.
“A great tool to keep non-profit events and projects on time and successful!”
- It helps to keep your projects organized with boards, lists, and cards
- It lets teams collaborate on projects from beginning to end
- Search, filtering, and labels make all the needed information available at a glance
- It stays in sync across all of your devices, allowing to manage work and collaborate with the team anywhere, anytime
- Costs FREE or zero for the basic service
- Works for projects of any size
It is a little tricky when we use it with other applications.
The Business Class plan is available for $9.99 per user per month and the Enterprise plan is available for $20.83 per user per month (for up to 100 users).
If you’re someone who likes to work with to-do lists and break tasks into goals, then you must try Quire. It’s the best collaborative project management software for breaking down goals into hierarchical lists. In Quire, you can easily kickstart a goal by picking out critical tasks, visualizing, and completing them on the Kanban board without losing the big picture.
“I’ve tried about 100 different project management tools… I LOVE the simplicity of this!”
- All-in-one transparent workspace for all your projects, tasks, subtasks, files, and conversations
- Real-time and instant collaboration
- “Shared link” feature that allows you to share a project with clients and stakeholders without them signup
- Powerful integrations like Google Drive, Google Calendar, iOS Calendar, and Siri
- No-brainer interface
- Affordable pricing
The searching functionality could be improved.
Quire is FREE for up to 35 organizations, 80 projects, and 30 members. For further pricing details, kindly contact the vendor.
Choosing the right software in 5 simple steps
With so many “top-choices”, you must be wondering “How do I choose a project management app?”
Well, we’ve got an answer for you.
Below are a few tips that might help you spot and select the right kind of project management solution for your business needs.
Step 1: Outline the needs
This is where you ask yourself some important questions and do all the research. If you have no clue where to start, here are a few questions that you should consider asking before you make a pick:
- Where does your current solution fail?
- Do I need a new solution?
- What are project management best practices?
- What project management practices should it be compatible with?
- Does this tool give my team the tools and flexibility to work together?
- Is it really worth it?
Step 2: List the alternatives
Once you find answers to all your questions and outline all your requirements for a project management solution, it’s time you start searching. Build a strong list of the best apps and tools (or simply use the one we just discussed — The 15 top Project Management Apps to try in 2024).
Step 3: Take a test-drive
Almost every software available today comes with an initial trial period or a freemium subscription plan. Now, the best way to find out whether the software is right for your business/team or not is to work with it. So give every tool and software in your list a try before you settle for one.
Step 4: Calculate and justify the cost
Before you make a final decision, consider the cost of different project management apps. Go for a subscription that is the best option for you.
Step 5: Outline your implementation plan
This is where you select and sign up for a project management software provider. But your job isn’t over. You also need to make sure that the software is implemented well within your work process. Outline a plan that shows how your team will start using the new project management solution. And make sure it’s followed.
So this is all you need to know about the best project management apps to try and how to find the best one for your business. If there is anything else that you would like us to add to this list/post, feel free to share your thoughts and suggestions with us.