I am pretty sure that your team also has a number of recurring tasks – day in and day out. Businesses are roping in workflow automation software to minimize repetitive tasks, thereby, saving time and boosting the efficiency of the team.
In this article, I hand-picked top workflow automation tools that really simplify workflow by automating daily procedures, so your team can focus on real tasks and display productivity.
Imagine a scenario where you are the manager of the team working on a campaign for a product launch.
You plan out tasks on a daily basis, leading up to the launch day.
Do you notice that a number of tasks are repetitive, with slight differences?
Do you wish that you could automate these tasks, to lower the workload of your team members? (I do😛)
Tasks such as creating social media posts, designing graphics, writing blog articles, and email newsletters are repetitive in nature. Any miscommunication or delays could result in a massive loss of coordination.
This could completely derail the entire campaign. Trust me, I have been there and faced such situations.
Similarly, automation plays a significant role in a number of other case scenarios. Implementing such software in your workplace will not only save you time but also boost the overall productivity of your team.
In this article, I have reviewed 11 top workflow automation software that will help your team solve the issue of repetitive tasks. So, sit back as I take you on an adventurous journey in search of the best and most efficient workflow automation software.
Table of Contents
- 11 Best workflow automation software list
- What is workflow automation software?
- 11 Best workflow automation software with thorough review
- Getting started with ProofHub
- Workflow Automation Software FAQs
11 Best workflow automation software list
Here is my list of the top workflow automation software list
- ProofHub – Best overall project management and team collaboration tool
- Zapier – Best suited for logic-based automation process
- Integrify – Best for complex automation requirements
- Kissflow – Simple yet powerful automation software
- Monday.com – Best suited as scalable CRM software
- Wrike – Best for multiple teams with multiple workstreams
- Flokzu – Best cloud-based automation tool
- Smartsheet – Best spreadsheet-based automation tool
- Hive – Best for businesses with potential for scalability
- Microsoft Power Automate – Best suited as a central repository for automating business processes
- AirTable – Best for customized spreadsheets for task automation
What is workflow automation software?
Workflow automation software refers to the use of specialized tools or platforms that help in streamlining repetitive tasks. The software aims at making work faster, easier, and more consistent, thereby saving time.
It is important to note here that automation software does not perform tasks by itself. This is just a platform that helps you to comprehensively streamline tasks that help your team to work in a smooth progression.
Workflow automation software basically includes the following four features-
- Drag-and-drop builder facility
- Robust notification system and email alerts
- List of triggers to make decision
- Audit trails for analyzing the overall progress
11 Best workflow automation software with thorough review
Here, I have briefly described the capabilities of each software, along with their pros, cons, and key features. You can jump over to how I picked this software section to get a fair idea of how I picked them.
ProofHub is an all-in-one project management and team collaboration tool that provides you with powerful features for automating repetitive tasks by using the powerful centralized repository for managing tasks in an effective and productive manner.
With ProofHub, your team members get a transparent view of tasks and timely reminders and notifications that ensure project progression is smooth and tasks are completed on a timely basis.
1. Custom workflows
With ProofHub you can create custom workflows as per the requirements of your project. These workflows define the sequence of steps and actions. By automating these workflows you ensure that the tasks progress smoothly without manual intervention at every stage.
For instance, kanban boards provide you with a wide visualization of the various tasks and workloads of different individuals. This helps in effective automation and simplifies the process of workload distribution. Further, the transparent boards help the entire team in identifying potential bottlenecks early.
2. Task dependencies
You can easily set task dependencies in ProofHub. When you set dependencies, you are defining the flow of various tasks in a fixed order.
So when one task is finished or delayed, the software automatically triggers notifications and initiates subsequent actions. This automation ensures that your team members execute orders in the correct order and lowers the need for manual tracking.
Gantt charts provide the most effective view of task dependency. This helps team members to understand the flow of work, identify the exact source of delay and help them to solve the issues with ease.
3. Task management
ProofHub allows you to create tasks, assign them to team members, and monitor progress on the centralized platform. With automation, team members are aware of their responsibilities and deadlines.
The intuitive task management dashboard also minimizes the need for manual coordination and eliminates micromanagement. Additionally, you can create recurring tasks that repeat after a fixed interval of time. Such recurring tasks could vary daily, weekly, monthly, or yearly intervals. This improves the efficiency of your team and helps them to focus on the important tasks at hand.
4. Time tracking and reporting
ProofHub provides you with built-in time tracking. Your team members can log their work hours on this platform. This helps in generating automated custom field reports about the workload and performance of the various team members, as well as monitoring the overall project progress.
5. Powerful communication and collaboration
When it comes to sharing, reviewing, and editing files, ProofHub automates the process of version control. This enables multiple team members to collaborate effectively on the same file simultaneously. Further team members always have access to the latest version of the file which eliminates confusion and miscommunication.
- Intuitive and user-friendly interface
- Quick onboarding and simple learning curve
- Effective and quick response from the customer support team
- Complete control over tasks and teams
- Flat pricing system means you can add unlimited users
- Multiple views provide a wide perspective over project progression
- Built-in invoice creation and billing is not available
- Notifications are sometimes overwhelming
ProofHub provide flat pricing system. This means you can add as many team members as you want. This comes in handy when your team is large as there will not be any impact on your spending budget.
The Essential plan starts from $45 per month (billed annually) with unlimited users, while the Ultimate Control plan costs $89 per month (billed annually) with unlimited users.
“The best thing about ProofHub is its customization possibilities. I don’t think that I have even managed to utilize half of its awesome features” – G2 review
Zapier helps you focus on your work by ensuring the smooth automation of all repetitive tasks. You can create custom workflows for various projects as per the requirements of your team.
Why I picked Zapier
The biggest advantage of Zapier I noticed over everything else is its ability to create multi-step custom workflows. Further, the security level of this software ensures complete confidentiality with two-step authentication and 256-bit AES encryption.
- Create multi-step custom workflows, with up to 100 actions in a single Zap.
- Zapier provides you with a custom developer platform for customizing the software as per your business requirements.
- You can use logical statements like if/then, in order to ensure the system operates only when the conditions are fulfilled.
- Ability to integrate multiple apps to create a centralized work platform.
- Schedule tasks as per the run or delay of pre-defined conditions.
- Customize the software without the need for coding
- There are limitations when it comes to handling complex functions.
- The customer support team is not effective enough.
- Hige variations in pricing especially when working on a high number of tasks.
The starter pack starts from $19.99 per month, however, this plan is limited to 750 tasks per month. The company plan starts from $99 per month, with a limit of 2k tasks per month.
“Zapier makes it incredibly easy to create automation between apps and software that may not have native connections or API.” – G2 review
This software is more than two decades old and offers powerful business process automation suitable for large and enterprise teams. This software helps in automating any business process without any coding.
Why I picked Integrify
The best part about Integrify is the ability of the tool to customize and automate complex workflow systems. There is no need for coding even when customizing and automating processes for large teams with complex workflow. This ensures that the tool can be successfully used by non-technical team members.
- Provides you with industry-specific audited workflow solution templates that can help you set up customized workflows with ease.
- With the use case sheet you can analyze how past users have used the various workflow automation for improving the performance of their team.
- ‘Low-code development’ ensures that you can build custom workflows using drag-and-drop features without the need for coding that requires professional developers and coders.
- Quick and effective response from the customer support team.
- Simple configuration and set-up process
- Create and customize multiple workflows with ease
- Poor scalability, as most of the workflow processes are lost in independent stages.
- Steep learning curve
- Exporting and printing workflows is a complex procedure
Price details are not available on the website. You will have to request for pricing quotes on their website.
“I like how easy it is to configure forms, workflows and reports. We are able to design exactly what we want in very little time.” – Capterra review
With a powerful and intuitive dashboard, Kissflow improves the overall efficiency of teams by providing a customized workflow that boosts productivity and saves time for team members.
Why I picked Kissflow
The best thing I liked the most about Kissflow is the ability to define an automated workflow and execute it in just three quick steps. This enables you to create custom workflows with ease that can help in minimizing the need for manual tracking.
- Seamless collaboration on the centralized platform by effectively integrating with communication apps.
- Simple drag-and-drop interface for creating customized workflows, making it a hassle-free process for non-technical team members.
- Optimized and automated custom reports for effective analysis of the overall performance of the team members.
- Managing multiple workflows involving multiple employees is simple and efficient.
- Convey quick notifications for work in progress for ensuring smooth transit of information in the team.
- Efficient and quick response from the customer support team.
- Messages are limited to a particular project, which causes disruptions to a smooth flow of information among team members.
- Converting data, tables, and files into pdf or for export requirements is quite difficult.
- Steep learning curve
The small business plan starts from $15 per user per month. This plan is limited to a maximum of 100 employees. The corporate plan starts from $20 per user per month. However, this plan limits the maximum number of users in the team to 500 employees.
“KiSSFLOW is a net positive for my organization. It allows all parties to stay in the loop regarding how a task is progressing and ensures that a chain of command is followed.” – Capterra review
If you’re looking to automate repetitive tasks and workflows, Monday.com offers custom automation that can save you time and enhance productivity. Monday.com is visually intuitive which makes it easier to track progress and identify bottlenecks.
Why I picked Monday.com
The best part about Monday.com is that you can arrange tasks as items in a table with stages and other project data using either a blank board or pre-designed templates. You can utilize the update area to communicate with your team and easily keep track of task statuses. This will eliminate any kind of misunderstanding or confusion in your team.
- Automate repetitive tasks and workflows, saving you time and boosting productivity.
- Get a clear overview of project progress with easy-to-use visual tracking tools.
- Keep track of time spent on tasks and projects to ensure accurate billing and reporting.
- Handling multiple teams and projects is easy.
- Intuitive and versatile platform for quick onboarding.
- Track progress effectively with excellent visibility of the activities of your team members.
- Mobile app contains numerous bugs
- Need to pay an additional cost for individual features
- Cannot create subtasks for primary tasks
The basic plan starts from $8 per user per month and the Pro plan costs $16 per user per month. The per-user pricing makes the tool quite costly when it comes to large teams.
“The automation proved to be immensely valuable as it enabled us to establish a streamlined system within monday.com for managing all our data and I’m really impressed with the update feature. It offers a level of functionality that almost renders email unnecessary.” – G2 review
This automation tool simplifies handling complex projects involving multiple teams and workstreams. Wrike provides numerous features that simplify the overall workflow, such as customizable dashboards, automated reporting, and integrations with various tools.
Why I picked Wrike
The best part I loved about Wrike is the availability of resources that help your onboarding process. New and first-time users will be able to adapt to this software with the help of guides, resources, and other support videos available. Although the tool is quite rigid when it comes to managing the workflow.
- Wrike provides real-time collaboration, accelerates approvals, and ensures everyone is on the same page.
- With Wrike, you can easily track progress and identify bottlenecks, which ensures that you are able to adhere to deadlines and make informed decisions.
- Despite the broad range of features that Wrike offers, it has a simple learning curve that allows users to navigate between sections seamlessly.
- Wrike offers a range of views, including Kanban boards and Gantt charts.
- The ability to add custom fields makes it easy to add the information required
- Custom reporting feature with automation is a real game changer.
- First-time users and non-technical team members may find the platform overwhelming.
- The customer support team is not effective and is slow to respond.
- Modifications to the movement of tasks dependent on precedents are a little complex to set up.
The team plan starts from $9.80 per user per month, while the Business plan starts from $24.80 per user per month. The per-user pricing makes this tool very costly for large and enterprise teams.
“Wrike’s flexible platform has provided us with greater command over internal and external project management, allowing us to centralize our resources” – Capterra review
A robust cloud Business Process Management (BPM) tool that is effective and user-friendly for working on complex workflows. It offers a fantastic User Interface on both the web and mobile. Further, Flokzu is low-code so you can automate business processes & workflows in minutes.
Why I picked Flokzu
The best thing about Flokzu is that data from different sources can be easily compiled at the central repository enabling your team to work with better efficiency. Additionally, the automated task monitor ensures that the right task is being assigned to the right team member. You can completely eliminate the need to keep track of the individual responsibilities of your team members.
- Team members have a holistic view of the task progression as your team works together
- Monitor progress and automatically receive notifications and updates in real-time.
- Analyze spending on the basis of time to get an effective report about the overall project performance.
- Simple drag-and-drop tools for creating workflows without the need for coding.
- Intuitive dashboard for teams to work on customized workflows.
- Access from different sources and devices ensures a smooth remote working environment.
- Tutorials and user manuals are lacking
- Integrations with essential tools are necessary for smooth progression
The Standard plan costs $17 per user per month, while the premium plan costs $22 per user per month. These prices are too high as the software is cloud-based.
“Flokzu achives to be an outstanding tool to create your own personalized workflows process without writing any code. Easy to understand, and which is more important easy to explore and learn new possibilities.” – G2 review
Smartsheet is a web-based collaboration platform that provides project management, task management, automation, reporting, and numerous other features for businesses of all kinds.
Why I picked Smartsheet
The best part about Smartsheet is that it is a task management application that is similar to a spreadsheet and provides simple features like scheduling tasks, subtasks, activities, and much more. Smartsheet smartly combines the power of a spreadsheet for visual timeline management, automated workflow capabilities, and collaborative file sharing and discussions.
- With pre-built templates to jump-start your projects with ease, thereby saving time and boosting productivity.
- Leverage effective team collaboration for ensuring that the entire team is on the same page.
- Optimize the performance of your campaign and execute them with confidence.
- Pre-built templates to jump-start your projects
- Team task list by priority
- Custom reports across projects
- Limited calendar view
- Lack of time tracking feature
- Although this is like an Excel sheet, you do not get all the features of Excel!
The pro plan starts from $7 per user per month. However, this plan is limited to 10 users. The business plan starts from $25 per user per month with a minimum of 3 users and unlimited editors.
“I like how easy it is to organize and assign tasks to my team, as well as the ability to collaborate in real-time and share important information. I also enjoy the flexibility of the platform.” – Capterra review
Hive is a business workflow automation software that enables you to use automated task management to efficiently manage your tasks. Hive allows all members of your team to collaborate and plan projects.
Why I picked Hive
The best part about Hive is that it combines a variety of different tools to streamline the process of planning, executing, and completing tasks. You can create task cards and select assignees from your team. Moreover, you can add communication with your teammates directly on task cards by adding comments.
- Kanban boards let you manage tasks in stages and get a wide-angle view of the project progression.
- Real-time and automated analytics for measuring project progress in order to effectively improve and scale successfully.
- Upload, organize, and attach files with tasks to enable team members to be aware of timely changes and modifications.
- Multiple task views give the flexibility to manage tasks in the way you like
- Send direct messages to communicate with team members
- Built-in templates for getting started with task management quickly
- The dashboard becomes complicated when managing several projects simultaneously
- New users may take some time to adapt to this platform
- The mobile application has significantly few functionalities
The Teams plan starts from $12 per user per month. For Enterprise pricing, you can contact their support team directly. However, the prices are slightly on the higher side.
“This is the tool we use every day, every hour, to track all of our enrollments and clients. Our team monitors enrollments and other CRM tools don’t give us the flexibility to track multiple events and data points.” – Capterra review
10. Microsoft Power Automate
This tool from Microsoft provides you with no-code-based workflow automation solutions. You can effectively use this tool to improve the overall performance of your business.
Why I picked Microsoft Power Automate
What I liked best about Microsoft Power Automate is the central library that saves the custom workflows that we create and use. You can use the previously saved workflows in new projects or even use parts of old workflows to create a new customized workflow.
- Create customized workflows for automating task flow as per the requirements of your project
- Create custom roles and access permissions to ensure effective communication among team members.
- Use the built-in bots to build a custom workflow for humans to work on.
- You can automate and create flows without the need to code
- Large collection of templates for creating automated workflows
- Assign tasks automatically to team members based on their potential and existing workload
- Steep learning curve
- Dashboards are overwhelming and complex
- User manuals and training videos are inadequate and not completely effective
The DPA (Digital Process Automation) plan starts for $15 per user per month, while the RPA (Robotic Process Automation) plan starts at $40 per user per month.
“The best thing about Microsoft Power Automate is that once the flow has been successfully created we don’t need to worry about our data being pulled/dumped to the destination. It’s 100% reliable tool for automation of flows.” – G2 review
With Airtable your teams can plan, automate, and monitor work in a highly configurable and collaborative way. It combines the capability of a spreadsheet with the strength of a database.
Why I picked Airtable
I love Airtable for its ability that allows teams to stay organized, work efficiently, and speed up their task management process with the help of Airtable’s features like real-time collaboration, file attachments, and sophisticated filtering options. It’s an effective tool for groups looking for a flexible and user-friendly way to organize their activities and projects.
- Grid interface allows grouping of projects based on different criteria such as status and project owner
- View and move tasks to different stages as cards using Kanban boards
- Gallery view makes it easy to find photos, documents, etc.
- Drag-and-drop tools make it easy to manage tasks
- View milestones and due dates in the calendar
- Integration with different tools for creating a seamless workflow
- Limited features when it comes to effective and complete automation
- Reporting tools are not available
- Steep learning curve
The Plus plan starts from $10 per seat per user, while the Pro plan starts from $20 per seat per user. Because of the per-seat billing, large teams may find the tools cost a bit too much.
“It has greatly contributed to solving our business problems related to project management, team collaboration, and staying ahead of deadlines.” – Capterra review
In addition to the above top 11 software, these are other software that you can try out –
- Nintex – Optimized for identifying bottlenecks early
- Pipedrive – Build automation process easily for everyday tasks
- Lucidchart – Diagramming platform for automating tasks
- Processmaker – Simplifies visual appeal for sophisticated projects
- Zoho Creator – workflow creation and comprehensive automation
How I picked the best workflow automation software
Below are the factors that I considered when I picked the top 11 workflow automation software.
Obviously, I read a lot of reviews on reputed websites like G2, Capterra, and Forbes in order to get a clear picture of what the real users are talking about this software, there are also other factors that require equal consideration. This includes –
Workflow automation software generally provides a number of features. I analyzed each feature in order to understand exactly how these features actually come in helpful for teams. When it comes to automation, features like drag-and-drop interface, workflow efficiency, digital workflow, and manual procedures all play an important role.
2. Ease of use
In my review, I selected tools that are simple for my team members to understand. A simple learning curve and quick onboarding are important necessities for me to select a particular tool for my team. After all, I do not want my team members to spend time in learning the working of the tool, wasting their productive time.
This is an important factor I consider while reviewing software. I compare the cost efficiency of every tool, i.e., the features provided by the tool for the price I am being charged. Comparing two different tools on the basis of price alone is not recommended, because the feature provided by different tools will vary. I do not want to end up spending way beyond my budget and still not getting the necessary features I am looking for.
The formula is simple for this one – the higher the conversations trending about a particular tool, the better is its performance. Reputed review websites and other forums depict the discussion trending that shows the wide and acclaimed presence of the tool.
How to choose the right workflow automation software?
Choosing the right workflow automation platforms play a key role in the overall performance of the team. Below are the basic things that you must consider when choosing the software for your team.
1. The type of project you are working on
Not all projects are similar. There are different projects that are on different progress levels. It is important for you to select a tool that matches your requirement in order to ensure that the features of that software match with your requirements.
Always keep an eye on your budget. Do not select software just because it looks flashy. First, fix your budget, then start searching for the tool. This will ensure that you do not break the bank for any particular software. Further, ensure that the features provided by the software are necessary for your team before buying the software.
3. Preferences of your team
The software that you are going to buy is primarily for your team. Therefore, understand their preferences before finalizing on a particular software. The workflow automation platforms that you choose should be easy for your team to work on, as well as, ensure that the onboarding process and the learning curve are simple.
4. Size of your team
The software that you choose must be able to cater to the size of your team. There are tools that work specifically for small teams. Large and enterprise teams have different requirements. Also, remember that scaling and developments will change the size of your team over time. The tool should be able to adapt to the ever-changing requirements of your team.
Apart from the above-mentioned prerequisites, there are two more things that can help you select software with confidence. This includes –
Most of the tool provides you with free trials for a certain period. These trials will provide you with real experience of the performance of the tool. The trial period will be able to provide you with the necessary confidence to finalize the software for your team.
6. Online reviews
You can understand user reviews from trusted platforms. This will provide you with an exact understanding of what other real users think about the performance of the software.
Watch tutorials, and read manuals, and other related documents about the software in order to understand the real intent of the software. This will further help you in selecting the right tool for your team.
Getting started with ProofHub
Workflow automation software is gaining popularity in businesses aimed at improving productivity. If you have a team focused on working with tight deadlines and providing effective results, workflow automation platforms are your go-to solution.
Now that we have come to the end of this review, I am sure you would have understood the important role played by different business workflow automation software in improving the specific performance of your team.
ProofHub provides you with powerful team collaboration and project management on the centralized platform making it the most dependable workflow automation software.
Workflow Automation Software FAQs
What is workflow automation software used for?
Workflow automation software is used to streamline and automate repetitive tasks, processes, and workflows within an organization. It helps reduce manual effort, improve efficiency, ensure consistency, and increase productivity by automating tasks such as data entry, notifications, approvals, and document routing, among others.
What is your top tool for workflow automation?
ProofHub is my top choice for workflow automation. Its intuitive interface, user-friendly dashboard, and drag-and-drop features make it my top choice for automation. Further, ProofHub not only supports automation for repetitive tasks, but you also get complete control over your projects and team. You can use this centralized platform as an all-in-one project management and team collaboration tool.
What are the different types of workflow automation?
There are several different types of workflow automation that cater to different aspects of business processes. Here are some common types:
- Task Automation
- Document Automation
- Approval Workflow Automation
- Data Integration Automation
- Notifications and Alerts Automation
- Decision-based Automation
- Reporting and Analytics Automation
- Cross-System Automation
What are the benefits of workflow automation software?
Workflow automation software offers several benefits, including increased productivity, improved efficiency, reduced errors, faster turnaround times, better collaboration, enhanced visibility into processes, cost savings, and the ability to focus on higher-value tasks, leading to improved overall business performance.
What are the challenges associated with workflow automation?
Some challenges associated with workflow automation include resistance to change, complexity in integrating with existing systems, initial setup and configuration, potential disruption during implementation, maintaining data security and privacy, and the need for ongoing monitoring and optimization to ensure effective automation.